RIP Tom Petty

If he's on life support it's probably just a matter of time before they pull the plug.

Same thing happened to an old friend of mine back in January.

Spent about two weeks on life support until they were sure he wasn't coming back.

Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, has died at the age of 66, his longtime manager said late Monday.

Tony Dimitriades said in a statement that Petty suffered cardiac arrest in his home in Malibu, California early Monday and was taken to UCLA Medical Center, but couldn't be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT (Pacific Time) surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends,

A little Tom Petty trivia for anyone interested.

Everyone knows that he grew up in Gainesville, FL.

During that same time period in the 60's, there was another guy who would go on to become a less well known by name but still very successful rock guitarist, long time member of the Eagles, Don Felder, (far end next to Joe Walsh with flannel shirt and suspenders)...

2696069-eagles-doc-still-617-409.jpg

...who also grew up in Gainesville.

While working as a guitar instructor at a local music store, one of his students was a young local kid named... you guessed it, Tom Petty.

Don Felder Remembers Tom Petty as a Friend, Student & 'Fearless' Performer

Don't forget Bernie Leadon and Steven Stills. It was quite a scene at Dubs and Lipham's was the place to meet.

Yeah, I figured for the sake of brevity and because the linked article mentioned them, I'd leave that out.

The Allman Brothers were in the general vicinity at the time, too. They all knew each other.

Back