Rip van Winkle

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
My wife's consulting business took a hit when one of the partners, responsible for two lucrative facilities near the coast, five hours from the central office here in The Piedmont, gave them the requisite ten week notice that he was leaving the practice. After a desperate search, they found someone with the qualifications to replace him.

The new guy's first day was a week ago last Monday, and they all took Thanksgiving and Friday off so only three days last week. The orientation process involves working with the other partners at their facilities, one by one and learning the system that way. My wife's nickname for the guy is Rip van Winkle. He's in his 60's, dresses like it's 1965 with a suit and vest. His clothes smell like moth balls. He lives with his mother, never married. All that are quirks which can easily be overlooked, even endearing. He is entirely competent in the profession; just one minor problem...

He has no idea how to use technology developed since the 1980s.

Seriously. It's like this guy has been in long-term storage since 1985. He can barely use the iphone that they gave him. He called another consultant asking for directions to a facility. He didn't know how to close a "window" on the laptop that they gave him to document notes.

He didn't know what a "text" was.

I told her that what they needed to do was to hire a secretary for the guy, the cost taken from Rip's salary.

The whole thing is hilarious, but sad, and if this guy doesn't get up to speed the company will lose two lucrative contracts.

Back