RIP

I'm sorry to hear that, Mott. As one who has lost an inordinate number of close relatives in the past three years, I have an idea of what you're going through - although I've never lost a sibling and I imagine that would be especially difficult. For what it's worth, you and your family will be in my thoughts.

Ya'll want to hear a funny story? Well at least ironic? We went out to dinner to celebrate my brothers life. In his honor, since he worked in the service industry, we (my siblings, our spouses & my parents) decided to have fun, have a few drinks, give the wait person the run around and then give them a very, very generous tip. Oh, I should mention, my brother happened to be gay, it comes into the story.

So we all agree to chip in on this very large tip and we get seated in the restraunt and our waiter "Jared" comes up to our table and introduce himself and we all lose it laughing because it's just obvious that Jared is flaming gay. So we proceed to give Jared the royal run around, we all start ordering odd drinks and he has to run back and forth to the bar to find out if they can make a "Bombay Bomber" or a "Pineapple Upside Down Cake" and when he'd come back we'd change our minds and order something else, same with our entrees, so of course we got poor Jared confused and he screwed up a couple of the drink orders, and got one of the entrees wrong and even forgot to bring out my mothers entree until we reminded him and all this with us razzing the poor kid every step of the way. All of which Jared took in good humor as he picked up that we were having a lot of fun at his expense.

So when it came time to pay the bill the tip pool turned out to be around 100% of what the bill was (which was substantial). So I closed up the money in the little book they give you for the bill, handed it to Jared and then told him the story of why we were out that night and that my brother would have, really, really liked him (wink, wink). To which he blushed and said "Yea, I hear that a lot.". He then walked away, and he made it down the aisle to the wait station when he finally looked at his tip. His eyes shot up and his jaw hit the floor and then he came running back down the aisle and gave my mother a hug and thanked her. I'm sure we made his night and it sure made ours.

We all kept chuckling all that night. What were the odds that the waiter would have been gay? How cool is that! :)

Last edited:
what a wonderful story Mott.

I bet your brother is cracking up in an alternate universe.

we are all just a blip on this planet and should remember its an honor just to have the luck of the draw to have lived to draw a breath.

You just extended that blip for your brother into a whole new set of lives.

This young man will no doubt be telling everyone he loves this story and your brother will be the star.

So sad for your loss.

It takes the human mind and body so long to grow comfortable once more with exsistance that includes the absense of the people who have touched us so deeply.

Feel a hand on your shoulder while you go through this.

my condolences

Last edited:
Back