Robot Umpires at Triple-A Ballparks in 2023

signalmankenneth

Verified User
I can see this as the norm by the end of this decade?!!

The Automatic Balls and Strikes system will be deployed at all Triple-A parks, including the Texas affiliate Round Rock Express.

All 30 Triple-A ballparks will use robot umpires to call balls and strikes for the 2023 season, according to a report from ESPN.
The Triple-A affiliate for the Texas Rangers is the Round Rock Express, which plays at Dell Diamond.

The technology, called the Automatic Balls and Strikes system, or ABS, has been used progressively at different levels of baseball’s minor-league systems since 2019. But this is the first time the system will be deployed at one level of the minors and used in all games.

The system will reportedly be used two different ways. Half of the games will be played with all calls determined by an electronic strike zone, with the other half played with an ABS challenge system that allows teams to challenge up three calls per game, with teams retaining challenges if they’re successful.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news...ot-umpires-2023-milb-round-rock-texas-rangers

robo-umpires-mlb_50.jpg

I can see this as the norm by the end of this decade?!!

The Automatic Balls and Strikes system will be deployed at all Triple-A parks, including the Texas affiliate Round Rock Express.

All 30 Triple-A ballparks will use robot umpires to call balls and strikes for the 2023 season, according to a report from ESPN.
The Triple-A affiliate for the Texas Rangers is the Round Rock Express, which plays at Dell Diamond.

The technology, called the Automatic Balls and Strikes system, or ABS, has been used progressively at different levels of baseball’s minor-league systems since 2019. But this is the first time the system will be deployed at one level of the minors and used in all games.

The system will reportedly be used two different ways. Half of the games will be played with all calls determined by an electronic strike zone, with the other half played with an ABS challenge system that allows teams to challenge up three calls per game, with teams retaining challenges if they’re successful.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news...ot-umpires-2023-milb-round-rock-texas-rangers

robo-umpires-mlb_50.jpg

It's the most accurate way to call balls and strikes. The same concept could be applied to other sports, like tennis - put sensors in the lines to detect whether the ball hits them.

I think that taking the Umpire out of the game is more of a disaster for tradition more than anything else.

There is nothing like the drama and excitement that the umpire brings to the game, calling strikes, and calling players as OUT or Safe at home plate.

I do like the red flag idea on challenged Umpire calls though.

But I believe that is where the Robot could come in handy, just like the many camera angles are relied upon in deciding questionable NFL Official challenged calls.

So, I like the robot, but not as a first resort, but used as a last resort to decide Balls, Strikes, and Outs!

It would also be a great audit trail tool to know if some umpires need to have their eyes examined! :laugh:

Last edited:
Calling balls and strikes completely differently depending on who’s their local team

Ridicules calls

I think that taking the Umpire out of the game is more of a disaster for tradition more than anything else.

I do like the red flag idea on challenged Umpire calls though.

But I believe that is where the Robot could come in handy, just like the many camera angles are relied upon in deciding questionable NFL Official challenged calls.

So, I like the robot, but not as a first resort, but used as a last resort to decide Balls, Strikes, and Outs!

It would also be a great audit trail tool to know if some umpires need to have their eyes examined! :laugh:

The current refs need the fear of it struck into them to become more honest

They need to readjust their commitment to being honorable and fair minded

Much like much of this nation now

Back