Rock and Roll

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Going through some old stuff and thought I'd ask:

What do you consider to be the first real Rock and Roll song??

This is considered, by some, to be the start of it all.

A little bit later version

And one, a little more "recent"

I would say that maybe Jimmy Preston has that honour. Rock the Joint came out in 1949, two years before Rocket 88. Then again Big Joe Turner is also a contender for the title as are several others.

Last edited:
Eleventy zillion years ago is too long ago for me to "remember" the first rock song. Maybe I'll choose a lifetime in that era next time through.

However my research turned up this gem:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe's "Strange Things Happening Everyday"

It was recorded in 1944...

The evolution from blues to rock is vague and probably not possible to pin on one song. I'm sure the classic I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V chord progression is much older than rock itself, though. You shouldn't just give the name "first rock song" to any song that has such a progression, as this one seems to.

The evolution from blues to rock is vague and probably not possible to pin on one song. I'm sure the classic I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V chord progression is much older than rock itself, though. You shouldn't just give the name "first rock song" to any song that has such a progression, as this one seems to.

You could have simply referred to it as the 12 bar blues without all the roman numerals.

You could have simply referred to it as the 12 bar blues without all the roman numerals.

I pretty much only refer to chord progressions with roman numerals. It's not anything to get worked up about, just different terminology.

I realize that proles like you only know a couple of them and so don't use chord notations, though, and would only recognize chord progression through their prole-names.

Last edited:
It was pretty accurate criticism. Beefy's just too much of a prole to realize such genius. Tis sad, to see a formerly sharp mind wittled away by the duties of prolism.

LOLZ I had no understanding of what you guys said, as I have no experience in music. I have a friend who majored in music composition, but he has never enlightened me with fundamental knowledge.

:clink:

I pretty much only refer to chord progressions with roman numerals. It's not anything to get worked up about, just different terminology.

I realize that proles like you only know a couple of them and so don't use chord notations, though, and would only recognize chord progression through their prole-names.

You have no idea. None.

Back