Romney refused to pardon Iraq Vet for BB-gun conviction; yet cheers Scooters pardon

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Romney: Libby commutation was ‘reasonable.’

“Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who as Massachusetts governor refused to pardon an Iraq war veteran’s BB-gun conviction, on Tuesday called President Bush’s commutation of Scooter Libby’s prison sentence ‘reasonable.’...

During the four years Romney was in office, 100 requests for commutations and 172 requests for pardons were filed in the state. All were denied.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19586943/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4533.html

Just how much of a joke is Romney? This Decorated Iraq war vet had a BB gun conviction when he was 13 years old. The bb didn't even break the other kids skin. Now this iraq war vet wants to be a cop, but he can't get in the police academy with the bb gun conviction on his record.

Romney is not apart from the Bushies, he is part of them.
JAFR.

But he looks like a game-show host, so he could become President. Americans love game show hosts.

In the R party it's all going to come down to; do you want a tough "who's your daddy?" type (cons love that, even the men), or, do you want the amiable game show host? Depending on the answer, we'll get either Romney or Thompson.

Maybe Romney can get Bob Barkers job then ?
Bob is retiring I hear.

I can visualize it.
And your showcase is Democracy in Iraq, what is the price of your showcase ?

But he looks like a game-show host, so he could become President. Americans love game show hosts.

In the R party it's all going to come down to; do you want a tough "who's your daddy?" type (cons love that, even the men), or, do you want the amiable game show host? Depending on the answer, we'll get either Romney or Thompson.

That's it! Gameshow host!

I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but there's something really plastic and phony about Romney. Game show host is the perfect metaphor ;)

Mitty would be a good replacement for Bob Barker.

btw is his first name really Mitt or is that a shortened version ?

You just never know about republicans, many think that Georges brothers name is really Jeb.

That's it! Gameshow host!

I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but there's something really plastic and phony about Romney. Game show host is the perfect metaphor ;)

It's my friend Sue's. We were at a pool party together yesterday, drinking martinis, listening to "holding out for a Hero" on my ipod, (we shared the earphones, one each), deciding that that song has to be his campaign theme song, making up names for the other canditates, and planning our next party.

I think I've finally found the perfect woman. It's too bad I'm not gay. ;)

Here's a great Alterman piece on the Libby thing. I love how he dug up all of this old stuff about people like cokie roberts ( i really can't stand that woman), when it was about Clinton lying. God, do I remember all of them whining about "but what will we tell the chillldrreeen". And my newspaper was filled with letters from Republicans (probably paid propagandists) whining the exact same message. "omg the children".

This is just the first 1/2 but the whole column is at the link below.

Think Again: Lies, Justice, and the Punditocracy's "Place"
Remember when lying under oath was the worst thing in the world?

By Eric Alterman

July 5, 2007

Allow me refresh your memory: Once upon a time, we heard Stuart Taylor of The National Journal complaining on “Meet the Press” that “I’d like to be able to tell my children, ‘You should tell the truth. I’d like to be able to tell them, ‘You should respect the president.’ And I’d like to be able to tell them both things at the same time.”
His colleague on that same program, William J. Bennett, spoke of the “moral and intellectual disarmament” that befalls a nation when its president is not “being a decent example” and “teaching kids the difference between right and wrong.” “We have a right to say to this president, ‘What you have done is an example to our children that’s a disgrace,’” he added.

These views were seconded by Cokie Roberts, who said she “approach[ed] this as a mother.” “This ought to be something that outrages us, makes us ashamed of him,” she said. (Her children were fully grown, but perhaps unusually sensitive.) On “The McLaughlin Group,” the panel spent some time actually discussing whether that same president, was, in fact, Satan. I am not making this up.

Apparently, the problem was not so much the lies, but who was doing the lying. As “Dean” David Broder famously explained to famed Georgetown hostess and sometime reporter Sally Quin of then-president Bill Clinton: “He came in here and he trashed the place, and it’s not his place.”

Other pundits made similar points. “We have our own set of village rules,” says David Gergen, editor at large for U.S. News & World Report, who worked for both the Reagan and Clinton White House. “We all live together, we have a sense of community, there’s a small-town quality here. We all understand we do certain things, we make certain compromises. But when you have gone over the line, you won’t bring others into it. That is a cardinal rule of the village. You don’t foul the nest. “

“This is a community in all kinds of ways,” insisted Roberts, whose husband was a pundit, whose parents both served in Congress, and whose brother is a high-powered corporate lobbyist. “When something happens everybody gathers around. . . . It’s a community of good people involved in a worthwhile pursuit. We think being a worthwhile public servant or journalist matters.”

Well, never mind. George W. Bush has decided that Scooter Libby’s lies to a Washington grand jury do not merit a single day of jail time—despite the fact that a Republican-appointed special prosecutor recommended it and a Republican-appointed judge demanded it. And all of a sudden lying is just fine with Washington’s “Powers that Be.”

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/07/alterman_punditocracy.html

Lying under oath is only a bad thing if you are a Demoncrat Darla, have you not learned anything ?
Rebutlickens are above all that with their personal responsibility and family values.

Back