Salvation versus "Good Deeds"

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Christianity topic. Leave the thread now, if your a satan-worshippin liberal, or Allah-worshipping Democrat.

I'm no expert in christianity, but based on reading and observation, I think I can broadly place american christians into two categories:

-Those mostly concerned with their own (and others) salvation. The "afterlife" in effect.

-And those concerned with doing good deeds on this earth and this life

In the first category, I would place the evangelicals. They appear to be obsessed with saving your soul from hell, and with personal salvation in the afterlife. The only issue they really seem to care about in this life, is abortion. Which, is indirectly related to saving souls. So that makes sense. I've read that the evanglicals don't instruct their flocks to worry much about poverty, the economy, social justice, or economic justice, because those are relatively pedestrian concerns that are not directly related to the afterlife and salvation.

In the second group, my only personal experience is with the "progressive" Catholic tradition. aka, the nuns and priests who work everyday for social justice. For the poor. For the disenfrachised. My mom had a Nun friend, who basically embodied this attitude of christian values.

Again, I'm no christianity expert, but is it fair to pigeonhole modern christianity broadly into these two groups?

No it is not quite fair.
You missed the third category. the false Christians who just use their religion for a tool or social/status purposes.

And a fourth category like Leaning who seems to be an all around well balanced Christian. He is concerned with the afterlife and helping others as well. I am sure he also like to help save souls as well, but does not push it down your throat.

Back