San Francisco Tech Firm To Shut Its Cocktail Lounge That Couldn’t Lure Workers to Off

cawacko

This was a big long article from CoStar about the challenge of getting workers to return to the office (so I'm not going to post it). Gotta give an A for effort to this firm for creating a high end bar in hopes that it would turn things around. What made me laugh though was the quote below. I know there are some folks here who were working during the Mad Men era. Any good drinking during the day at work stories?

San Francisco Tech Firm To Shut Its Cocktail Lounge That Couldn’t Lure Workers to Office

Expensify’s Upscale Amenity ‘Experiment’ Shows Difficulty Employers, Landlords Face Nationwide

"And trying to use desk-side booze, a perk that went out of health fashion in many offices decades ago, as an indicator of office allure rather than free lunches or an on-site gym can have its limitations."

If people consumed alcoholic beverages prudently,
it wouldn't matter when or where they were served.

Unfortunately, it does seem to matter.

Hey, happy hour always works for me, but then again, I don’t have to pay a fortune to park nor fight commuter traffic

And while we’re on it, squeaked by California, with Washington and Oregon ahead, not to mention UCLA, see where bowl projections have USC currently in the Holiday Bowl I believe facing a mediocre team from the ACC.

I have worked for some of the largest Corporations in America, and I have also worked for small businesses, but I have rarely ever worked anywhere, where there was not a "Fun Bunch" that did the least amount of work and put out the least amount of effort, yet received some of the highest pay in the company.

It always seemed to come down to who is so and so's brother or sister in law, or who is fucking who in the company!

But, it is one example of just how unfair the working world is!

And oh- the other example- WHO GETS TO DO THEIR JOB FROM HOME- AND WHO DON'T GET THAT SAME PRIVILEGE!

So, it is hard to keep moral in a company when there are ways to play favorites.

That was always a first sign and red flag for me, and I knew it was time to move on to greener pastures, if I ever noticed favoritism going on, in either of the 2 examples I just gave!

And that is not to say, that I was not ever offered a "Fun Bunch" position. The thing is, if I did accept a position like that, I felt uncomfortable about it, as I could sense the envy and despise of the others, and moved on.

All I ever wanted was a level playing field to operate on, and so I insured that I always did!

Last edited:
Hey, happy hour always works for me, but then again, I don’t have to pay a fortune to park nor fight commuter traffic

And while we’re on it, squeaked by California, with Washington and Oregon ahead, not to mention UCLA, see where bowl projections have USC currently in the Holiday Bowl I believe facing a mediocre team from the ACC.

You hear the old school stories of three martini lunches but that seemed long gone by the time I got out of school. Having a full bar in the office would be an interesting twist.

We have Washington, Oregon and UCLA left. We have the ability to win all three games. We could also very easily lose all three. IF we win all three we should be in a good bowl game but in this playoff era who really cares, and the chances aren't high we win all three.

You hear the old school stories of three martini lunches but that seemed long gone by the time I got out of school. Having a full bar in the office would be an interesting twist.

We have Washington, Oregon and UCLA left. We have the ability to win all three games. We could also very easily lose all three. IF we win all three we should be in a good bowl game but in this playoff era who really cares, and the chances aren't high we win all three.

Never had a problem finding a pub nearby anywhere I worked, in fact, I don’t think I would like one right where I worked, you hit the pub to get away from work and discussions on work. The only place I ever was that had alcohol right on the premises was the Army, a beer machine in the barracks

And any bowl can be fun, as a fan, you get to travel, usually to a resort location, mix with other fans, I always enjoyed the ones I attended, and I didn’t even have a close association with the school involved. As I told you, playoffs only involve a half dozen schools, even when they expand, depth is the issue there, only the big money teams have the players and depth to survive a thirteenth/fourteen schedule

Never had a problem finding a pub nearby anywhere I worked, in fact, I don’t think I would like one right where I worked, you hit the pub to get away from work and discussions on work. The only place I ever was that had alcohol right on the premises was the Army, a beer machine in the barracks

And any bowl can be fun, as a fan, you get to travel, usually to a resort location, mix with other fans, I always enjoyed the ones I attended, and I didn’t even have a close association with the school involved. As I told you, playoffs only involve a half dozen schools, even when they expand, depth is the issue there, only the big money teams have the players and depth to survive a thirteenth/fourteen schedule

I often found work tended to be discussed at the happy hours I went to (because it is what you have in common), though not solely dedicate to that. (I guess it depends on how close you are with your co-workers you are attending with as well.)

All things being equal I’d rather play in the best bowl game possible. But it just doesn’t hit home the same way when you have expectations (or hopes) of the playoff. Whether you get the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl doesn’t move much on the needle. And the fact so many kids sit out bowl games it’s not the same team you’re watching.

I often found work tended to be discussed at the happy hours I went to (because it is what you have in common), though not solely dedicate to that. (I guess it depends on how close you are with your co-workers you are attending with as well.)

All things being equal I’d rather play in the best bowl game possible. But it just doesn’t hit home the same way when you have expectations (or hopes) of the playoff. Whether you get the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl doesn’t move much on the needle. And the fact so many kids sit out bowl games it’s not the same team you’re watching.

True, especially those looking for a second pro career. Suppose I overemphasized the attraction of bowl games, not the NCAA basketball tournament, nor will the expanded football playoffs match those of basketball, there will never be a St Peters or Loyola in football

Back