Scientists discover metal from the 'lost city of Atlantis'

Commander Dutch

Sworn to support and defend the Constitution
Long and interesting story short, the mysterious metal of red-tinged, yellowish-gold colored metal Plato called orichalcum was a mixture of " 80 per cent copper and 20 per cent zinc, with small amounts of lead and other metals mixed in."

"Its value was based on its malleability, resistance to tarnishing, durability (it was stronger than copper) and resemblance to gold."

The shipwreck was dated to around 570 BC.

Last edited:
Long and interesting story short, the mysterious metal of red-tinged, yellowish-gold colored metal Plato called orichalcum was a mixture of " 80 per cent copper and 20 per cent zinc, with small amounts of lead and other metals mixed in."

"Its value was based on its malleability, resistance to tarnishing, durability (it was stronger than copper) and resemblance to gold."

The shipwreck was dated to around 570 BC.

Given that Eastern South American and Western Africa match like adjoining puzzle pieces, I wonder where Atlantis was supposed to be.
In the Northern Hemisphere?

Given that Eastern South American and Western Africa match like adjoining puzzle pieces, I wonder where Atlantis was supposed to be.
In the Northern Hemisphere?
My favored location is the island of Santorini that was destroyed in the Minoan eruption of 3600 BC.

The Minoan eruption was a catastrophic volcanic eruption that devastated the Aegean island of Thera (also called Santorini) circa 1600 BCE.[2][3] It destroyed the Minoan settlement at Akrotiri, as well as communities and agricultural areas on nearby islands and the coast of Crete with subsequent earthquakes and paleotsunamis.[4] With a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of between 6 and 7, it resulted in the ejection of approximately 28–41 km3 (6.7–9.8 cu mi) of dense-rock equivalent (DRE),[5][1] the eruption was one of the largest volcanic events in human history.[6][7][8] Since tephra from the Minoan eruption serves as a marker horizon in nearly all archaeological sites in the Eastern Mediterranean,[9] its precise date is of high importance and has been fiercely debated among archaeologists and volcanologists for decades,[10][11] without coming to a definite conclusion.

Although there are no clear ancient records of the eruption, its plume and volcanic lightning may have been described in the Egyptian Tempest Stele.[12] The Chinese Bamboo Annals reported unusual yellow skies and summer frost at the beginning of the Shang dynasty, which may have been a consequence of volcanic winter (similar to 1816, the Year Without a Summer, after the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora).

800px-Santorini_ASTER.jpg

My favored location is the island of Santorini that was destroyed in the Minoan eruption of 3600 BC.

The Minoan eruption was a catastrophic volcanic eruption that devastated the Aegean island of Thera (also called Santorini) circa 1600 BCE.[2][3] It destroyed the Minoan settlement at Akrotiri, as well as communities and agricultural areas on nearby islands and the coast of Crete with subsequent earthquakes and paleotsunamis.[4] With a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of between 6 and 7, it resulted in the ejection of approximately 28–41 km3 (6.7–9.8 cu mi) of dense-rock equivalent (DRE),[5][1] the eruption was one of the largest volcanic events in human history.[6][7][8] Since tephra from the Minoan eruption serves as a marker horizon in nearly all archaeological sites in the Eastern Mediterranean,[9] its precise date is of high importance and has been fiercely debated among archaeologists and volcanologists for decades,[10][11] without coming to a definite conclusion.

Although there are no clear ancient records of the eruption, its plume and volcanic lightning may have been described in the Egyptian Tempest Stele.[12] The Chinese Bamboo Annals reported unusual yellow skies and summer frost at the beginning of the Shang dynasty, which may have been a consequence of volcanic winter (similar to 1816, the Year Without a Summer, after the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora).

800px-Santorini_ASTER.jpg
Maybe. I was too young to remember.
We should ask Frank.

Maybe. I was too young to remember.
We should ask Frank.
LOL.

My main interest in the metal labeled orichalcum, a material we now call Bronze although the addition of other materials may be different.

Benefits of 80/20 Bronze Alloy​

Back