Scientists discover snowflake identical to one which fell in 1963

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Snowflake1963-2010-SMALL.jpg

Scientists were today able to dispel the age-old belief that no two snowflakes are the same, using state of the art microscopy and by catching flakes as they fell in specially designed equipment while sitting at a table outside a pub in Norwich. The team of researchers, backed by a £20m grant, were able to make an identical match to the famous Bentley flake, photographed 47 years ago by amateur snowflakeologist Wilson Bentley. ‘It’s one of the last remaining challenges known to science and we’ve cracked it at last,’ said lead researcher, Professor Kenneth Libbrecht. ‘The team will soon disband to pursue other major scientific challenges, such as the unresolved toast-butter conundrum, and whether or not my baldness makes me a better lover.’
The scientists then ordered another round and considered the futility of existence, an activity for which they also receive a grant worth twice the GDP of Tonga.

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2010/12/...nowflake-identical-to-one-which-fell-in-1963/

Scientists were today able to dispel the age-old belief that no two snowflakes are the same, using state of the art microscopy and by catching flakes as they fell in specially designed equipment while sitting at a table outside a pub in Norwich. The team of researchers, backed by a £20m grant, were able to make an identical match to the famous Bentley flake, photographed 47 years ago by amateur snowflakeologist Wilson Bentley. ‘It’s one of the last remaining challenges known to science and we’ve cracked it at last,’ said lead researcher, Professor Kenneth Libbrecht. ‘The team will soon disband to pursue other major scientific challenges, such as the unresolved toast-butter conundrum, and whether or not my baldness makes me a better lover.’
The scientists then ordered another round and considered the futility of existence, an activity for which they also receive a grant worth twice the GDP of Tonga.

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2010/12/...nowflake-identical-to-one-which-fell-in-1963/

"Scientists were today able to dispel the age-old belief that no two snowflakes are the same, using state of the art microscopy and by catching flakes as they fell in specially designed equipment while sitting at a table outside a pub in Norwich."

I knew it! I've sat in a pub many times and swore I saw two identical snow flakes.

I think they meant the pattern is the same. Obviously if you demand to bring things down to the atomic level things are going to be different.

I burst out laughing just reading the thread title! :good4u:

This just doesn't do anything for me.

Can you be more specific?

you know what's sad.....nobody has mentioned yet that these guys got £20 million to look at snowflakes....

you know what's good?....this time it was British taxpayers that got screwed instead of American.....

Last edited:
Yeah, but they're going on to study the futility of existence next, which is the sort of progressive scientific policy I wish we'd pursue in America.

If I said that NewsBiscuit is the British equivalent of the Onion, would that help?
Probably not. My guess is everything people have said here was in the same sardonic tone that you normally would get from people talking "seriously" about identical snowflake stories.

Back