Securing the borders

Here's a documentary from the 1950's. A segment (10:30 to 11:00) depicts a Canadian family living in a house on the US/Canadian border where the home owners purchased a TV in the US to use in their living room which is in the US. If they move the TV to another room they have to declare the TV and pay customs duty on it.

Further along it shows a washing machine. Although the machine is located in the part of the house that is in the US it is hooked up to a Canadian sink so they purchased a Canadian machine.

I visited that town a few years ago and one has to be careful when driving down certain streets because there's only a sign on a post that lets one know they've crossed the International Boundary. In this day and age an "Oops" may not suffice.

Anyway, a little nostalgia and hope ya'll enjoy. Check out the 50's cars, as well. :)

(You might have to double click on the time line to get to 10:30.)

http://www.nfb.ca/film/two_countries_one_street

I'm kind of surprised that it's legally possible to build a house literally on the border. Wouldn't you, at the very least, have to get residency or dual citizenship in both countries? Perhaps it was built when these things weren't enforced as much.

I'm kind of surprised that it's legally possible to build a house literally on the border. Wouldn't you, at the very least, have to get residency or dual citizenship in both countries? Perhaps it was built when these things weren't enforced as much.

I think the houses were build before the line was declared legal/accurate. There's mention in the video about the line being negotiated in the 1870's, if I recall.

I think the houses were build before the line was declared legal/accurate. There's mention in the video about the line being negotiated in the 1870's, if I recall.

you are correct. in fact, areas of some states are in the same situation. for example, some southern states have bars or restaurants which are literally split by a state line, thus, you can't take your drink to the back of the establishment because ou would be crossing state lines.

Back