Security cameras

ThatOwlWoman

Leftist Vermin
We had a weirdo visitation yesterday evening that has got me thinking about security cameras for the outside. (Not the doorbell kind.) Can you smart ppl provide any guidance, recommendations, information about them?

Thanks in advance.

We had a weirdo visitation yesterday evening that has got me thinking about security cameras for the outside. (Not the doorbell kind.) Can you smart ppl provide any guidance, recommendations, information about them?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few different systems. One is hardwired cameras. That takes going up to the attic and running the wires.

I also have wireless Blink and Ring cameras but those require WiFi; lose WiFi and you lose the cameras.

I'd recommend a hardwired camera set up with 8 to 16 plug-ins (mine's 16) even though most come with four cameras. Most cameras have a night range of 50 feet unless you have external lighting (either IR or regular). I have an IR spotlight in a couple of areas. Aside from a red glow, it can't be seen by the naked eye...just an infrared scope. LOL

I have a few different systems. One is hardwired cameras. That takes going up to the attic and running the wires.

I also have wireless Blink and Ring cameras but those require WiFi; lose WiFi and you lose the cameras.

I'd recommend a hardwired camera set up with 8 to 16 plug-ins (mine's 16) even though most come with four cameras. Most cameras have a night range of 50 feet unless you have external lighting (either IR or regular). I have an IR spotlight in a couple of areas. Aside from a red glow, it can't be seen by the naked eye...just an infrared scope. LOL

Do the cameras then record stuff? Are they motion-sensor? I really don't want something going off continuously when deer/bear/other critters walk by!

We don't have an attic so I'm not sure about hard-wiring. I bet that could be done in the garage though. That might be the place to put a camera? Here's a little pic I drew. Where the X is would be a good camera spot?

08IKrEv.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Just get a WYSE camera. Wyse has an app that installs an on your phone where you can not only see who's there, but speak to them as if you're home, through the little camera speaker, wherever you have an internet connection. The app, notifies you when there's motion at your door and you can see it in real time and view a recording after.

It worked well for me when I lived in an apartment in the Seattle area. Here's the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HGP435L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just get a WYSE camera. It installs an app on your phone where you can not only see who's there, but speak to them as if you're home, through the little camera speaker, wherever you have an internet connection. The app, notifies you when there's motion at your door and you can see it in real time and view a recording after.

It worked well for me when I lived in an apartment in the Seattle area. Here's the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HGP435L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I think we need something outside though. We want it to cover the driveway, front of the garage, and front of the house. We have a back door that opens downstairs; if someone approached from the driveway and went around back there, I think a camera mounted on the garage would see them. I guess you would need motion sensor lights too, right?

We have very little crime around here. Our neighbors haven't even locked their door in years; they lost the key. lol

Thanks. I think we need something outside though. We want it to cover the driveway, front of the garage, and front of the house. We have a back door that opens downstairs; if someone approached from the driveway and went around back there, I think a camera mounted on the garage would see them. I guess you would need motion sensor lights too, right?

We have very little crime around here. Our neighbors haven't even locked their door in years; they lost the key. lol

It will work outside as long as there's shelter. I put mine outside my door.

Thanks in advance.

I have neighbors who have those outside cameras. If somebody walks their dog in front of their house and doesn't pick up the dog poop we see a picture of that person and dog on the neighborhood Facebook page.

Thanks in advance.

I have blink cameras up all over the property. Easy to install. Not terribly expensive. The Ring doorbell is awfully nice as well, I'd recommend getting one. You can actually power it with a little solar panel if you are so inclined. The battery lasts for months, so maintenance is low either way.

I found out after the fact that the previous owners of my home are...... shady is a kind description. They left no forwarding address, and everyone from process servers to rental car companies are looking for them, so that security helps me identify those visitors. I do live in a gated community with a guard station, so I usually know who's coming, but sometimes they let people through without my permission.

Sorry for the digression, but anyway, blink or ring are both good options. Easy to use, solid features and both are wireless. As long as you have wifi you are good to go. EDIT: They detect motion and save the clip, along with alerting you of the motion. They can be calibrated to keep false detects to a minimum.

I have neighbors who have those outside cameras. If somebody walks their dog in front of their house and doesn't pick up the dog poop we see a picture of that person and dog on the neighborhood Facebook page.

:laugh:

Well, well, well. That's one way to shame them. Nice!

I have blink cameras up all over the property. Easy to install. Not terribly expensive. The Ring doorbell is awfully nice as well, I'd recommend getting one. You can actually power it with a little solar panel if you are so inclined. The battery lasts for months, so maintenance is low either way.

I found out after the fact that the previous owners of my home are...... shady is a kind description. They left no forwarding address, and everyone from process servers to rental car companies are looking for them, so that security helps me identify those visitors. I do live in a gated community with a guard station, so I usually know who's coming, but sometimes they let people through without my permission.

Sorry for the digression, but anyway, blink or ring are both good options. Easy to use, solid features and both are wireless. As long as you have wifi you are good to go. EDIT: They detect motion and save the clip, along with alerting you of the motion. They can be calibrated to keep false detects to a minimum.

Great info, thanks! I'll be assigning Mr. Owl the task of looking up more about them, as well as installing at least one.

What kind of angle of view do they typically have? 45? 90? 180?

Do the cameras then record stuff? Are they motion-sensor? I really don't want something going off continuously when deer/bear/other critters walk by!

We don't have an attic so I'm not sure about hard-wiring. I bet that could be done in the garage though. That might be the place to put a camera? Here's a little pic I drew. Where the X is would be a good camera spot?

08IKrEv.jpg

The cameras can be set on different sensitivity but it can't tell the difference between a bear and human. Yes on motion sensor.

Wired cameras are on all the time and can be set to continuous loop recording depending up on the size of drive and quality of picture. A 1T drive will do everything you need it to do.

If you go wireless, you can put the cameras wherever it's in range of WiFi. If a wired camera, you can mount them on the garage at various angles.

I always bought mine during the Amazon sales including a couple of the solar panels. The bad thing about the outdoor ring is that you can't flip the image if mounted upside down like a Blink. It requires a special mount to keep it upright.

I'm sure we will. Do you think multiple cameras are good? That seems to be the consensus.

Oh, yeah. Everywhere anyone can access your home, there should be a motion-activated camera. Sure. And I would make sure they're visible with a light, which works as a deterrent for would-be "uninvited guests". When they see they're under surveillance they'll move on to the next victim.

Back