APP - self guided bullet now a reality

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
yep, the scientists and lab boys have created a self guided bullet

it is a 50 cal bullet and can be fired from a machine gun - it is currently able to hit within 8 inches of the designated target at 1/2 mile range

now they are working on bringing down the price per bullet and ruggedizing it for battlefield conditions...and making it more accurate

how long do you think it will take for the technology to be stolen...

oh well

http://news.yahoo.com/sandia-labs-engineers-create-self-guided-bullet-161745833.html

it is a 50 cal bullet and can be fired from a machine gun - it is currently able to hit within 8 inches of the designated target at 1/2 mile range

now they are working on bringing down the price per bullet and ruggedizing it for battlefield conditions...and making it more accurate

oh well

http://news.yahoo.com/sandia-labs-engineers-create-self-guided-bullet-161745833.html

didn't they also include it for use in law enforcement while prohibiting it for civilian possession?

if you have a weapon that can hit it's target within 8 inches at one half a mile, why do you need a machine gun?.....

good question, the article does not say beyond the fact that the 50 cal machine gun round was used, perhaps because it is the largest round they have...

The Browning M2 is incredibly accurate and is equipped with a semi automatic feed mode in addition to the fully automatic one. Also the max effective range of the cartridge (7000 meters) is well beyond that of most small arms.

oh well

Re-elect Obama and it might just be given away.....

Half a mile is 880 yards. I think the competitors in 1,000 yard competitions would be happy to show them they can put a regular old school bullet closer than 8 inches from the target.

Gunnery Sgt Carlos Hathcock made a 2,500 yard shot as one of his 93 confirmed kills. That is almost a mile and a half. And he did that in 1967.

A british corporal holds the record for the longest confirmed kill. He nailed two guys at 2,707 yards.

Half a mile is 880 yards. I think the competitors in 1,000 yard competitions would be happy to show them they can put a regular old school bullet closer than 8 inches from the target.

Gunnery Sgt Carlos Hathcock made a 2,500 yard shot as one of his 93 confirmed kills. That is almost a mile and a half. And he did that in 1967.

A british corporal holds the record for the longest confirmed kill. He nailed two guys at 2,707 yards.

yes, but the generals want ordinary soldiers to be that accurate, not just the very good ones

when i was younger i could group my rounds within the space of one-half of your little finger's fingernail at 50 feet...standing

a few months ago my older son took me to an outdoor range and i could still make a good grouping at 100 yards with a 30-06 springfield

I think the reason they're doing this with a machine gun, is because of the machine guns tendency to bounce; which causes the following rounds to go off track.
This should result in shorter and more efficient bursts.

oh well

Such a waste of money. This sort of weapon all ready exists. It's called "A wife"!

Back