Should Rich Rod get the axe?

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I have mixed emotions about that. As an OSU fan I know that with Rich Rod as head coach my Buckeyes will have more wins to come against the team up north. Nothing make a Buckeyes blood turn scarlet like a good ole smake down on michigan. Having said that, Both Cooper and Rich Rod have done a lot of damage to the rivalry. It's not much of a rivalry when one team or the other dominates. Personally I think any new coach at a college program should get at least 4 years. But in Rich Rods case I don't know.

Against Rich Rod.

#1. He alienated a bunch of top shelf talent his first year by letting players know he was glued to a system instead of having the flexibility to utilize a systems with the talent available, which was top notch. That talent subsequently left michigan in droves.
#2. Subsequently, in his first season he had the worst season ever for michigan.
#3. He committed NCAA violation his first and second year.
#4. Though he's made progress in the w/L column from his first year debacle, it's not the kind of progress you expect, ney demand at michigan.
#5. He's made substantial improvements offensively but has failed utterly to recruit top level defensive talent to the winningest program in college ball.
#6. In 3 years he hasn't even come close to competing for the conference championship.
#7. Most damning of all, 3 straight loses to the Buckeyes.
#8. Alum Harbough has had more success playing power football at Stanford. A school where recruiting is handicapped by high academic standards.

For Rich Rod.
#1. He should get 4 years so that he can fully implement his program with talent he recruited and coached.
#2. His offense this year was amazing.
#3. He has shown progress two years in a row.
#4. Firing Rich Rod would put michigan right back to square 1 of needing to rebuild the program all over again.

My thoughts is that if he loses his bowl game he should be fired and Harbough hired.

If he does win his bowl game he should get his 4th year but under the following conditions. 4 goal will be set of which he must achieve 3 of them;

#1. Show significant improvement on defense.
#2. Compete for or win the conference championship
#3. Beat OSU
#4. Earn a BCS bid.

Back