APP - should we use asteroid dust to fight global warming

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
this scheme is a bit weird and dangerous

To combat global warming, scientists in Scotland now suggest an out-of-this-world solution — a giant dust cloud in space, blasted off an asteroid, which would act like a sunshade for Earth.
The world is warming and the climate is changing. Although many want to prevent these shifts by reducing emissions of greenhouse gases that trap heat from the sun, some controversially suggest deliberating manipulating the planet's climate with large-scale engineering projects, commonly called geoengineering.

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-dust-could-fight-climate-change-earth-132248031.html

To combat global warming, scientists in Scotland now suggest an out-of-this-world solution — a giant dust cloud in space, blasted off an asteroid, which would act like a sunshade for Earth.
The world is warming and the climate is changing. Although many want to prevent these shifts by reducing emissions of greenhouse gases that trap heat from the sun, some controversially suggest deliberating manipulating the planet's climate with large-scale engineering projects, commonly called geoengineering.

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-dust-could-fight-climate-change-earth-132248031.html

And how do we eliminate it, when the earth starts getting to cold?

I believe this is based upon a natural occurrence which happened in the early 90s when a volcano blasted sulfur into the upper atmosphere. The effects only last one year.

I believe this is based upon a natural occurrence which happened in the early 90s when a volcano blasted sulfur into the upper atmosphere. The effects only last one year.

The difference is that was in the upper atmosphere.
This is supposed to be put in the area between Earth and the Moon, where the gravitational pull on an object is the same.

I've lived at my present location for 12 years and this summer has been the best for trees. From fruit trees to maples and blue spruce my back yard looks like a jungle. I love it! Even the wild roses have gone ballistic. If this is a result of global warming then I have no problem with it. The growth has doubled if not tripled in one season.

We don't need a dust cloud. The money would be better spent on subsidies for solar powered fridges to keep ones beer cold. :)

I've lived at my present location for 12 years and this summer has been the best for trees. From fruit trees to maples and blue spruce my back yard looks like a jungle. I love it! Even the wild roses have gone ballistic. If this is a result of global warming then I have no problem with it. The growth has doubled if not tripled in one season.

We don't need a dust cloud. The money would be better spent on subsidies for solar powered fridges to keep ones beer cold. :)

we live on the ca central coast where the temperature rarely exceeds 75F, but this week we had temperatures from 88 to 91...and we do not have airconditioning, however, it got down to the mid 50s at night...wtf

this winter when room airconditioners are on sale we will get at least one if not two

welcome to global warming

oh well

ps we have peach trees, a lemon tree and black berry bushes along with a lot of roses - it rarely gets below 35f at night during the winter

Last edited:
we live on the ca central coast where the temperature rarely exceeds 75F, but this week we had temperatures from 88 to 91...and we do not have airconditioning, however, it got down to the mid 50s at night...wtf

this winter when room airconditioners are on sale we will get at least one if not two

welcome to global warming

oh well

ps we have peach trees, a lemon tree and black berry bushes along with a lot of roses - it rarely gets below 35f at night during the winter

We had similar high temperatures this summer. 90+ for a week straight. 75F at night. Unheard of. I'm not usually a fan of central AC but this year we ran it a fair amount. Last winter was the mildest on record for over half a century.

I suppose that my living in the the Great White North contributes to a different view on global warming than most folks. I've reforested my suburban lot in preparation for more to come. Most neighbors have few trees on their lot. Unfortunately, their manicured lawns burnt to a crisp.

Back