Sick in the head Americans

Cancel7

Banned
This is sickness. I know a lot of people love pets and they'll be yelling and ranting about it. But, this, is sickness. Ok? And that's that.

If there's still any doubt whether the pampering of pets is getting out of hand, the debate should be settled once and for all by Neuticles, a patented testicular implant that sells for up to $919 a pair. The idea, says inventor Gregg A. Miller, is to "let people restore their pets to anatomical preciseness" after neutering, thereby allowing them to retain their natural look and self-esteem. "People thought I was crazy when I started 13 years ago," says the Oak Grove, Mo. entrepreneur. But he has since sold more than 240,000 pairs (a few of which went on prairie dogs, water buffalo, and monkeys). "Neutering is creepy. But with Neuticles, it's like nothing has changed." Nothing, except there's a fake body part where a real one used to be.

Americans now spend $41 billion a year on their pets — more than the gross domestic product of all but 64 countries in the world. That's double the amount shelled out on pets a decade ago, with annual spending expected to hit $52 billion in the next two years, according to Packaged Facts, a consumer research company based in Rockville, Md. That puts the yearly cost of buying, feeding, and caring for pets in excess of what Americans spend on the movies ($10.8 billion), playing video games ($11.6 billion), and listening to recorded music ($10.6 billion) combined. "People are no longer satisfied to reward their pet in pet terms," argues Bob Vetere, president of the American Pet Products Manufacturers Assn. (APPMA). "They want to reward their pet in human terms." That means hotels instead of kennels, braces to fix crooked teeth, and frilly canine ball gowns. Pet owners are becoming increasingly demanding consumers who won't put up with substandard products, unstimulating environments, or shoddy service for their animals. But the escalating volume and cost of services, especially in the realm of animal medicine, raises ethical issues about how far all this loving should go.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20024783/

I was flipping through Big Brother last night and one of the contestants said something ot the fact that they would give up their life for their dog and they love it like a child or something. (admittedly I wasn't paying too much attention to it though)

154_01_350x450.jpg

I was flipping through Big Brother last night and one of the contestants said something ot the fact that they would give up their life for their dog and they love it like a child or something. (admittedly I wasn't paying too much attention to it though)

The store I work for sells "Big Brother" all their pool equipment.

I am still reminded about the Contaminated pet food scandal and all the press it got vs the botulisims chili thing going on now with little MSM fanfare....
I had hopes it would get more attention since a couple types of dog food were involved....

I am still reminded about the Contaminated pet food scandal and all the press it got vs the botulisims chili thing going on now with little MSM fanfare....
I had hopes it would get more attention since a couple types of dog food were involved....

Yeah really, that is so true usc! I forgot about that.

OK, LadyT, I know you expect me to answer this somehow, so here goes: :)

I read this article this morning -- wow! OK, I'm an animal lover, but most of this stuff goes way over the top. Way, way over. I'm pretty involved in dog training, and of course my dogs are neutered because they won't be shown in conformation and I have no intention to breed them. In some of our classes (because we strongly recommend spaying and neutering), and occasionally at Humane Society functions, I've been asked in all seriousness by a dog owner if their (male) dog will be "sad" if he's neutered. This article suggested something similar, the manufacturer of these ridiculous prostheses saying that it "boosts the dog's self-esteem". Ridiculous. This sort of anthropomorphising is in keeping with the mindset targeted by the rest of the article as well. The dog "misses" nothing and in reality is a lot better off after neutering. In fact, my Aussie has been a whole lot happier since he's been without the overload of testosterone that kept interfering with his concentration. My Border Collie will be a year old next month and will receive his treatment at that time. Neither of them is going to miss a thing, and nobody who meets them would be under any misconception that they feel "sad" or certainly have anything wrong with their self-esteem.

I buy specially formulated dog food that maximizes their health, and take them to the vet for regular shots and checkups. They get heartworm preventative and flea and tick preventative monthly. This also protects them from parasites and the diseases that can ensue from such vermin. That's part of my responsibility as a pet owner. They get rawhides to chew, under supervision. I make a lot of their toys because it's a waste of money to buy crap that lasts 20 minutes. Mostly I spend a lot of time with them, helping them to be the best, busiest and happiest dogs they can be. Most of this is playing (tug, ball, frisbee) and some (also playing) is training on regulation-style Agility equipment. They love it and it keeps them well and fit. I don't dress them up; they're dogs and they're beautiful on their own. I do brush them (they love it!) and trim their nails because too-long nails can be harmful to them. They get plenty of affection from us both and in their way they return it a thousandfold. What more could we ask? They are an important part of our family, no question.

I feel that it does a pet a grave disservice to impose on it too much humanity, because that interferes with appreciating the animal for what he or she really is. The outfits are strictly for the humans; the dogs and cats hate that crap (watch them try to get out of something you've tried to put on them, even a bandage on a paw!).

OK, LadyT, I know you expect me to answer this somehow, so here goes: :)

I read this article this morning -- wow! OK, I'm an animal lover, but most of this stuff goes way over the top. Way, way over. I'm pretty involved in dog training, and of course my dogs are neutered because they won't be shown in conformation and I have no intention to breed them. In some of our classes (because we strongly recommend spaying and neutering), and occasionally at Humane Society functions, I've been asked in all seriousness by a dog owner if their (male) dog will be "sad" if he's neutered. This article suggested something similar, the manufacturer of these ridiculous prostheses saying that it "boosts the dog's self-esteem". Ridiculous. This sort of anthropomorphising is in keeping with the mindset targeted by the rest of the article as well. The dog "misses" nothing and in reality is a lot better off after neutering. In fact, my Aussie has been a whole lot happier since he's been without the overload of testosterone that kept interfering with his concentration. My Border Collie will be a year old next month and will receive his treatment at that time. Neither of them is going to miss a thing, and nobody who meets them would be under any misconception that they feel "sad" or certainly have anything wrong with their self-esteem.

I buy specially formulated dog food that maximizes their health, and take them to the vet for regular shots and checkups. They get heartworm preventative and flea and tick preventative monthly. This also protects them from parasites and the diseases that can ensue from such vermin. That's part of my responsibility as a pet owner. They get rawhides to chew, under supervision. I make a lot of their toys because it's a waste of money to buy crap that lasts 20 minutes. Mostly I spend a lot of time with them, helping them to be the best, busiest and happiest dogs they can be. Most of this is playing (tug, ball, frisbee) and some (also playing) is training on regulation-style Agility equipment. They love it and it keeps them well and fit. I don't dress them up; they're dogs and they're beautiful on their own. I do brush them (they love it!) and trim their nails because too-long nails can be harmful to them. They get plenty of affection from us both and in their way they return it a thousandfold. What more could we ask? They are an important part of our family, no question.

I feel that it does a pet a grave disservice to impose on it too much humanity, because that interferes with appreciating the animal for what he or she really is. The outfits are strictly for the humans; the dogs and cats hate that crap (watch them try to get out of something you've tried to put on them, even a bandage on a paw!).

I agree wtih everything you've said.

All the stuff you do is reasonable and understandable. Believe me, I had a dog and I understand that they are part of the family and you feel love for them. But some of these people are ridiculous.

Back