Simple Math Question (not 1/3rd related) That a lot of people are debating over

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
A huge debate erupted over at another site I post at. Which I found pretty funny. Then I asked people irl, the debate continued. I was amazed.

What is the answer to this math problem:

48/2(9+3) = ?

I am pretty confident on the answer.

But I want to hear what you guys say.

My initial thought was 2. In my mind, I had it broken down like this:

48 / [ 2 (9 + 3) ] = 2

However, it occurs to me that when dealing with equal operations the general rule is to work left to right. Division and subtraction are equal. So to solve 48/2(9+3), first perform the addition (because it is located inside parenthesis), followed by the division (48/2), then multiplication (24 x 12), which equals 288.

I don't get it, Grind. I mean, this sort of dilemma is currently fresh on my mind because I have been studying algebra online, but I generally assume that most people are naturally more understanding of math than I am. Why was this such a matter of debate? Or are you just pulling our legs?

lots of people say 2, it's an argument about syntax really.

it was 50/50 on the other forum, out of 1000 posters.

I posted it on 4chan last night and got 200 replies, twas epic.

Grind, just tell the little bastards "its called PEMDAS, bitches!" Actually, they're doing even worse than that, because you are clearly multiplying the divided numbers with the added numbers. Someone must be dividing some superfluous numbers by mistake.

Just write it out for them. This plus this, multiplied by this divided by this. Fucking proles.

lots of people say 2, it's an argument about syntax really.

it was 50/50 on the other forum, out of 1000 posters.

I posted it on 4chan last night and got 200 replies, twas epic.

It would be 2 if it were a line division like

--------
2(9+3)

The line would imply parentheses around 48 and 2(9+3). With just a normal division sign, though, parentheses isn't implied, and it's 288.

So, these people are confused.

I'm probably the worst person in the world when it comes to math that doesn't involve guns, and I got this off the top of my head.

You can't pull that shit with a leet board like JPP, grind. Unless you try it on Dixie, who, if upon inspecting it, didn't come to the immediate intuitive conclusion that it was 288, would argue until his dying day that it was the first wrong answer that popped into his head.

Back