SJJR knows way more about knives than me, he is a knife expert. He proved me wrong

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
A few days ago, I made a very big mistake in challenging sjjr on his expert knowledge of knives. I quite honestly didn't think he knew what he was talking about. I honestly doubted if he even owned a good knife at all!

Well, he showed me up, and this thread is my recap of how I was incorrect. It stands as a symbol of my defeat. I was wrong, and I am man enough to admit when I am beaten.

Yesterday, in order to prove me wrong, sjjr posted a picture of some knives with his thumb in the picture:

i2AORkF.jpg

ZIifVq6.jpg

Now I of course naturally doubted the veracity of his claims. I thought, foolishly, that anybody could find random pictures of knives on the internet with a thumb in the photo. I hardly considered this proof of sjjr's knife knowledge. So I told him so.

SJJR followed up with more proof that they were his knives, with a picture of his foot:

dRfpXIh.jpg

Sadly, this was not enough evidence for me. Anyone could have had a picture of their foot on the internet next to some knives. I remained unconvinced, and like an idiot I challenged sjjr a third time. I told him, if he really wanted to prove those knives were his, I demanded a stick figure drawing with a lightning bolt over the persons head.

I received my response:

vXohvmo.jpg

IhdyAtU.jpg

After this third challenge, the writing was on the wall. I had lost.

So SJJR, I apologize. You really do know your knives. I am sorry I doubted you.

A few days ago, I made a very big mistake in challenging sjjr on his expert knowledge of knives. I quite honestly didn't think he knew what he was talking about. I honestly doubted if he even owned a good knife at all!

Well, he showed me up, and this thread is my recap of how I was incorrect. It stands as a symbol of my defeat. I was wrong, and I am man enough to admit when I am beaten.

Yesterday, in order to prove me wrong, sjjr posted a picture of some knives with his thumb in the picture:

i2AORkF.jpg

ZIifVq6.jpg

Now I of course naturally doubted the veracity of his claims. I thought, foolishly, that anybody could find random pictures of knives on the internet with a thumb in the photo. I hardly considered this proof of sjjr's knife knowledge. So I told him so.

SJJR followed up with more proof that they were his knives, with a picture of his foot:

dRfpXIh.jpg

Sadly, this was not enough evidence for me. Anyone could have had a picture of their foot on the internet next to some knives. I remained unconvinced, and like an idiot I challenged sjjr a third time. I told him, if he really wanted to prove those knives were his, I demanded a stick figure drawing with a lightning bolt over the persons head.

I received my response:

vXohvmo.jpg

IhdyAtU.jpg

After this third challenge, the writing was on the wall. I had lost.

So SJJR, I apologize. You really do know your knives. I am sorry I doubted you.
Accepted, I hope that this ends here, since you as a mod hold all the Forum power, the power of Banishment? By studying the Japanese Swords, my later evolution to Knives was to see if they were equal to the Japanese swords steel, and they aren't as far as I could "see". Since Japan had no natural iron ore mining, they imported their steel from like Korea, etc, they called it Nanban steel. Although I had other very good old swords, my one really great sword was made in 1542, by a swordmaker graded in Willis Hawley's book at 100 points. By contrast, a Masamuni blade(KoKoho, National Treasure) is ranked at 600 points and a hand made sword today could cost $25000, but the ranking might be a 10-20 because the modern swords have never been tested in battle against other swords, although your Metallurical Lab might find it to be superior in grain structure, it still was never tested in actual battle. There has never been a case of a Masamuni blade having broke in battle. Theoretically the Masamuni blade would cut my great blade in half, while my blade would cut a modern hand made blade in half, etc etc. The very old steel was derived by panning for magnetic black iron that you would find in rivers, pure iron without carbon in it and that will not rust. Modern sword makers try to use old tea pots, nails etc to melt down for their new sword composition, but think of how much of that black sand would be needed by panning to make one sword today? Usually, an entire village would pan in the rivers just like for gold, pan when the water was moving and uncoverring the black sand which was at the bottom of the river sand just like gold. There would be the rain runoffs and the winter snow melt, both very dangerous for the villagers, who would pan enough black "sand" to make maybe 3 or 4 swords. If you have ever run a magnet in the sand at the beach or a river, you hardly pick up any, by the way, but you will not find gold without finding black sand, because they are both heavy, and every river has black sand, but not every river has gold. I have given a gold panning demostration at a few elementary schools, using very small "ball bearings", which are lighter than gold and tend to roll out of the gold pan, drop ten into the rocky sand and pan ten out. I have a peanut butter plastic jar with 1/2 pound of black sand in it, and it took me 4 hours to get that much while fishing and panning for gold at Deep Creek, near Lake Arrowhead, Ca.
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authentic-samurai-sword.html

Why are all the images of carving and cooking knives? I have edged weapons. Someday I may even post images of stuff like that... (I just don't like posting personal stuff. I'd have problems doing like Billy and posting pictures of all my weapons.)

Accepted, I hope that this ends here, since you as a mod hold all the Forum power, the power of Banishment? By studying the Japanese Swords, my later evolution to Knives was to see if they were equal to the Japanese swords steel, and they aren't as far as I could "see". Since Japan had no natural iron ore mining, they imported their steel from like Korea, etc, they called it Nanban steel. Although I had other very good old swords, my one really great sword was made in 1542, by a swordmaker graded in Willis Hawley's book at 100 points. By contrast, a Masamuni blade(KoKoho, National Treasure) is ranked at 600 points and a hand made sword today could cost $25000, but the ranking might be a 10-20 because the modern swords have never been tested in battle against other swords, although your Metallurical Lab might find it to be superior in grain structure, it still was never tested in actual battle. There has never been a case of a Masamuni blade having broke in battle. Theoretically the Masamuni blade would cut my great blade in half, while my blade would cut a modern hand made blade in half, etc etc. The very old steel was derived by panning for magnetic black iron that you would find in rivers, pure iron without carbon in it and that will not rust. Modern sword makers try to use old tea pots, nails etc to melt down for their new sword composition, but think of how much of that black sand would be needed by panning to make one sword today? Usually, an entire village would pan in the rivers just like for gold, pan when the water was moving and uncoverring the black sand which was at the bottom of the river sand just like gold. There would be the rain runoffs and the winter snow melt, both very dangerous for the villagers, who would pan enough black "sand" to make maybe 3 or 4 swords. If you have ever run a magnet in the sand at the beach or a river, you hardly pick up any, by the way, but you will not find gold without finding black sand, because they are both heavy, and every river has black sand, but not every river has gold. I have given a gold panning demostration at a few elementary schools, using very small "ball bearings", which are lighter than gold and tend to roll out of the gold pan, drop ten into the rocky sand and pan ten out. I have a peanut butter plastic jar with 1/2 pound of black sand in it, and it took me 4 hours to get that much while fishing and panning for gold at Deep Creek, near Lake Arrowhead, Ca.
I had been to Hawley's house years ago to buy some of his books, which are now out of print, but I still have them....

I do like the sword tip on the last image... However it is a picture of a picture. I see one USMC knife, one image of an image of a sword tip, and a ton of chopping and carving knives from a kitchen.

I might just be sitting on a gold mine, so to speak.
I know where there's piles of black sand.

Why are all the images of carving and cooking knives? I have edged weapons. Someday I may even post images of stuff like that... (I just don't like posting personal stuff. I'd have problems doing like Billy and posting pictures of all my weapons.)
Hi Damo, nice to see this issue end, so I will post two more photos just for you. Since I only get these out to oil them, the cooking knives with vegetable oil, of course unless stainless, and the hunting knices with BreakFree, the best for guns and knives in my opinion. Japanese swords use pure clear clove oil so as not to stain the sword steel. Anyway thanks for commenting, to hear is to Ebay, I mean obey.....lol
004-1.jpg

003.jpg

Hi Damo, nice to see this issue end, so I will post two more photos just for you. Since I only get these out to oil them, the cooking knives with vegetable oil, of course unless stainless, and the hunting knices with BreakFree, the best for guns and knives in my opinion. Japanese swords use pure clear clove oil so as not to stain the sword steel. Anyway thanks for commenting, to hear is to Ebay, I mean obey.....lol
004-1.jpg

003.jpg
I have sold most of my hunting knives, all my survivalist knives, Diver's knives, most Buck and Case and other pocketknives, good military knives, other skinning knives and all my swords.
I also have a very large collection(hundreds) of fishing lures, many old Heddons, Creek Chub, Pflueger, Paw Paw, etc and many many flies, and miscellaneous bass and trout lures, but no photos will ever be posted on here.

what are the top 3 uses of most of your knives in your opinion?
I I buy according to price and quality, so I bought a lot of used Henkels and I use them in the kitchen, but I have never paid straight retail for anything that I have bought including the guns, they are either used or on Sale. I have since legally sold most of my guns through a licensed gun store, still have three left. I have kept the German Henkels because they are the best and I use them all the time, I have given a few away to relatives. In the case of the Swords, I placed ads in the newspapers way back, bought them pretty cheap, did not know much about them, so I joined a Japanese Sword Club, studied books, went to meetings and asked questions and listened a lot to the supposed best sword minds outside of Japan. I was at the bottom of that knowledge Totem Pole, because that was all they did, eat sleep and study swords. I spent all night trying to decipher the Kanji inscription on the tang using my sword books, mainly because old Japanese Kanji had sometimes 10 different meanings, all depending on the way it was used, ie sword talk, and that was a nightmare. If I took one to a sword meeting, the Japanese members were more than happy to tell me everything about my sword. In Samurai sword collection, the more swords you see and handle the more you learn because no two are exactly alike, and not many books with photos. If you study Japanese History, then you know when the Wars occurred and generally the best swords were not decorated during wartime, they were built to not break in battle. Many times sword blade decorations were put on to cover up flaws like carbon pockets, stress cracks when quenched, etc. Really interesting is that since there was no mass printing, only wood block printing, most expertise was handed down word of mouth unless you served as an apprentice, the guy who used the foot bellows to keep the furnace going, then that guy would "graduate" to helping with the hammering of the steel. After a battle, the woman would go out to see who was dead, and since there were no Paramedics, one out of every two fighters fighting each other would die, loss of blood. Anyway if a broken sword was found near a body, that swordsmiths name on the handle would tell who made the broken sword, word spread around and the Samurai would not buy that makers sword for a long time, until he somehow re-established his reputation. gotta go, "see" you all later.....

Those aren't all my guns. And you haven't even SEEN my ammo cache.

Back