Snowshoeing anyone??

Bill

Malarkeyville
Just started last week, great workout..

I was hoping to have some semi-level terrain to traverse but there was little to be had so I ended up doing a peak in the Tahoe area & on a very windy day~gust up to 45-55 mph..

It had snowed a few inches the night before so we had some powder which is difficult.. We went up to about 8,200 before we decided to head down as it was around zero to about -4 w/ wind chill & we had 3 first timers & 2 that were novice..

Hoping we get some snow @ lower elevations soon......

I was hoping to have some semi-level terrain to traverse but there was little to be had so I ended up doing a peak in the Tahoe area & on a very windy day~gust up to 45-55 mph..

It had snowed a few inches the night before so we had some powder which is difficult.. We went up to about 8,200 before we decided to head down as it was around zero to about -4 w/ wind chill & we had 3 first timers & 2 that were novice..

We've only got about six inches so far... Not quite enough. Hoping for more next week. You're right. Great workout and fun too.

Not in years. Here the snow melts before you can set a trail. All the skiing here relies on "fake" man-made snow.

I was in Front Royal during a snow storm & there was lightening... Couldn't believe it & the snow didn't last long..

We have the Sierra's an hour away so they go up to 10,000+ ft locally around Lake Tahoe & up to Whitney further south @ 14,505..

I just started hiking again in the June & have done several around the lake, Yosemite & Whitney... Love it

Tried it once and couldn't keep my balance. I was better off sinking in the snow.

Tried it once and couldn't keep my balance. I was better off sinking in the snow.

powder is harder, much harder, especially moving up as there is no grip... I sunk a few times about a foot & a half & was thankful I wore gaiters..

Wow, is that pretty low for you guys this time of year??

It *is* pretty low. Our annual snowfall is about 150 inches more or less. They have measured more at the official NWS measuring site to our south. Many, many businesses depend on a decent snow pack because they cater to the Nordic ski and snow mobile fans during the winter.

It *is* pretty low. Our annual snowfall is about 150 inches more or less. They have measured more at the official NWS measuring site to our south. Many, many businesses depend on a decent snow pack because they cater to the Nordic ski and snow mobile fans during the winter.

It will be raining here even @ higher elevations.. My kids went snow boarding two days ago on the manufactured snow & if it rains that high they will be back to square one..

It will be raining here even @ higher elevations.. My kids went snow boarding two days ago on the manufactured snow & if it rains that high they will be back to square one..

That sucks, but then I guess the West needs rain as well as snow pack, right?

We got 5-6 inches in yesterday's storm; some places to the SE got over a foot! So we now have enough to go snowshoeing, which is tomorrow's plan.

We have hundreds of miles of Nordic ski trails here; one is only a mile from our driveway. They're beautiful.... they run through the woods away from the highway and people's homes/cabins. Total solitude. On some of them you can glimpse Lake Superior through the trees. The groups that maintain them are super nice and don't care if you snowshoe on them; you just have to be careful to stay out of the ski tracks.

HHhmmmm, this time of year they(resort owners) want snow, not rain..

The idea is for lots of snow to melt down during the summer keeping all the reservoirs full..

There hasn't been any new ones built in many years & the population continues to go up along w/ increased water use etc..

I'm hiking @ either 5,100-6,000 or about 7,500 but even @ that elevation there isn't anything on the ground..

HHhmmmm, this time of year they(resort owners) want snow, not rain..

The idea is for lots of snow to melt down during the summer keeping all the reservoirs full..

There hasn't been any new ones built in many years & the population continues to go up along w/ increased water use etc..

I'm hiking @ either 5,100-6,000 or about 7,500 but even @ that elevation there isn't anything on the ground..

It looks like the central and eastern part of the country has all your cold.

It looks like the central and eastern part of the country has all your cold.

LOL, yep... We usually don't get a lot in Northern Calif but I think today was a record..

I saw picts of Niagara falls & it's covered in ice all around from the mist..

Back