Something interesting I learned today.

Banned

Benjamin Franklins income tripled during the revoloutionary war.

Perhaps we have not drifted from our founding fathers morals as much as we thought?

Of all our founding fathers Franklin is my favorite. :)

I've been harping on my wife that she needs to read more. If for nothing else to grow as a person. So a few weeks back sure purchased a copy of Franklins Autobiography on her Kindle. What surprized me is that my wife is for SE Asia, and isn't really into history. I asked her why she chose that book and she said that she had seen him on programs about American history and he seemed like an interestin person.

What surprised me even further is that she really got into the book.

Last edited:
Most of the signers did not make out well during the Revolution financially. Franklin only would have done well because his most steady source of income was in journalism and writing, and the war game him important government positions, as well as the opportunity to write a lot more.

Perhaps we have not drifted from our founding fathers morals as much as we thought?

Why is it immoral for one's income to increase?

I really don't get liberalism. Never have, never will.

Why is it immoral for one's income to increase?

I really don't get liberalism. Never have, never will.
That's because you operate from idiotic notons like "Liberals think it's immoral to increase incomes." No. Liberals think it's immoral to increase ones income at the expense of others with out a fair exchange of a value for a value.

We really haven't.

Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" details how the founders were looking to serve their own elitist, moneyed interests from the very beginning. However, they knew that achieving prosperity required compliance from the masses, whose compliance hinged on the better life they had as a result of the founders' vision.

We really haven't.

Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" details how the founders were looking to serve their own elitist, moneyed interests from the very beginning. However, they knew that achieving prosperity required compliance from the masses, whose compliance hinged on the better life they had as a result of the founders' vision.
Having said that unbridled democracy scared the hell out of our founding fathers.

words evolve and have different meanings. If I walked down the street and said "hey look everyone i'm a liberal!" no one would interpret that to mean liberal in the classical sense.

That's because you operate from idiotic notons like "Liberals think it's immoral to increase incomes." No. Liberals think it's immoral to increase ones income at the expense of others with out a fair exchange of a value for a value.

And who gets to decided what that fair exchange is?

If someone is offering a job that pays $7.00 @ hr and I take it, haven't I decided that the monies offered are a fair exchange for my services?
If I then later decide to leave; haven't I then also made the decision that my services are worth more then the monies being offered?

War profiteering?

Back