sounds like facebook

it's in the terms of service.

but the real reason is one of pragmatism, there simply is no feasible way to delete every single post (thousands and thousands) by someone here without massive inconviencne. What we do instead is simply close the account and change the name, so it's mostly untraceable.

Also if we were to do a database delete using howeys username, while that is doable, it might screw up other areas of the board, such as threads he started that others posted in, etc, it's just something we rather not touch.

but the real reason is one of pragmatism, there simply is no feasible way to delete every single post (thousands and thousands) by someone here without massive inconviencne. What we do instead is simply close the account and change the name, so it's mostly untraceable.

Also if we were to do a database delete using howeys username, while that is doable, it might screw up other areas of the board, such as threads he started that others posted in, etc, it's just something we rather not touch.

Who cares, the toerag has gone. My only worry is that he'll come back.

I once spent a year at a site that was so bad I n the end I decided to go back and delete my every post.

In every post I put an X in place of my words.

It didn't take as long as you might think.

I left telling them I wanted to leave them with as little me as possible.

it felt really good to do

dude I have been with Damo since the first days.

new him at politics.com before the owner sold the name

Oh, I agree, deleting posts could really make threads confusing. But the "own" thing just sounded odd. If you make any money off of one of my posts, send me flowers, ok?

It didn't take as long as you might think.

maybe you didn't have a lot of posts there, because otherwise I find your story to be a bit implausible.

Lets do the math though. If you posted at the rate of which you have at jpp, you would have posted around 3500 posts in one year. (you're total here is 25k over 7 years).

Now lets assume it takes 5 seconds to click the edit button, delete what you previously wrote, put in the X, and hit save.

5 seconds for each of 3500 posts is 17500 seconds.

that equals ~5 hours with no breaks, and being 100% efficient with no slowdowns or any distractions.

_

Maybe deleting the name and making it anon is easier.

Oh, I agree, deleting posts could really make threads confusing. But the "own" thing just sounded odd. If you make any money off of one of my posts, send me flowers, ok?

that was said tongue in cheek. Technically, billy is right, but no one is planning on writing a book based on JPP posts ;)

Back