APP - south african cardinal says pedophilia is not a crime but an illness

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
perhaps it is both

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African cardinal who helped elect Pope Francis this week has told the BBC pedophilia is an illness and not a crime.
Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier, the Catholic Archbishop of Durban, told BBC Radio 5 on Saturday that pedophilia was a "disorder" that needed to be treated.
"From my experience, pedophilia is actually an illness. It's not a criminal condition, it's an illness," he said.
Napier said he knew of at least two priests who became pedophiles after they were abused as children.
"Now don't tell me that those people are criminally responsible like somebody who chooses to do something like that. I don't think you can really take the position and say that person deserves to be punished. He was himself damaged."
The Catholic Church has had its image deeply tarnished by a widespread child sex abuse scandal.
Napier was one of the 115 cardinals in the Vatican conclave that elected Pope Francis on Wednesday, the BBC reported.
The first non-European pope in nearly 1,300 years, Francis has signaled a sharp change of style from his predecessor, Benedict, for the 1.2-billion-member Church, which is beset by scandals, intrigue and strife.
He said on Saturday the church should be poor and remember that its mission is to serve the poor.
(Reporting by David Dolan; Editing by Jason Webb)

http://news.yahoo.com/south-africa-cardinal-says-pedophilia-not-crime-155418854.html

Yeah, it is definitely both. I hate it when people just want to excuse all crime as a result of mental illness. It does nothing to ensure a secure and well-ordered society.

Yeah, it is definitely both. I hate it when people just want to excuse all crime as a result of mental illness. It does nothing to ensure a secure and well-ordered society.

there is a finding of 'not guilty by reason of insanity' which i do not like and a finding of 'guilty, but insane' which i prefer

if a person does not understand what they have done or does not know the difference between right and wrong, then executing them is not right, however, if they are untreatable or regain their sanity, then they should pay for their crime with confinement

Question is, how many pedos were not molested as children? This is why, when they are caught, they should be castrated and never released.

Well, the crimes committed are not "pedophilia," but sexual relations with a minor, sexual assault/rape, and a few other crimes, but generally when we are talking about some pedophile, we are talking about someone who is being charged with a crime.

Back