Space-Saving Furniture

Cancel10

Independent Thinker
So, I'm moving into a new apartment in a couple days and it is quite a bit smaller than my current place. I'm looking for a bed with a desk and/or dresser attached to it, for the sake of saving space, but the only ones I can find are either for children (twin size, etc.) or just plain stupid. This is probably the worst one I've found:

http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/image/2009/10/apartment beds.jpg

I can imagine that cramping my style in many ways...literally. I need something that is made for a grown man, and that will be comfortable when my girlfriend stays over. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't find anything close to what I'm envisioning, so I might just have to make it myself, with the little time I already have.

I'd go with http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/75305709

They are two feet wide. Place three in a row, side by side. Then place another three in a row, two and a half feet from the first row, back to back. That would make a foundation for a double bed box spring and mattress or simply a piece of plywood and a good foam mattress.

The height is a little over two feet. Your bed would look majestic and you would have plenty of storage space.

Be sure to get sturdy ones to ensure they can take the inevitable abuse they will have to endure the nights your girlfriend stays over. :)

Bon nuit.

So, I'm moving into a new apartment in a couple days and it is quite a bit smaller than my current place. I'm looking for a bed with a desk and/or dresser attached to it, for the sake of saving space, but the only ones I can find are either for children (twin size, etc.) or just plain stupid. This is probably the worst one I've found:

I can imagine that cramping my style in many ways...literally. I need something that is made for a grown man, and that will be comfortable when my girlfriend stays over. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't find anything close to what I'm envisioning, so I might just have to make it myself, with the little time I already have.

go to an office furniture supply store.....buy four two drawer lateral files....put your box spring and mattress on top.....all the storage you could ever need, plus a funky decor......

we did it in my daughter's dorm room with two laterals and a single bed.....she loves it.....

I'd go with http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/75305709

They are two feet wide. Place three in a row, side by side. Then place another three in a row, two and a half feet from the first row, back to back. That would make a foundation for a double bed box spring and mattress or simply a piece of plywood and a good foam mattress.

The height is a little over two feet. Your bed would look majestic and you would have plenty of storage space.

Be sure to get sturdy ones to ensure they can take the inevitable abuse they will have to endure the nights your girlfriend stays over. :)

Bon nuit.

I see IKEA now has cafes within the stores. I ordered a cheese and tomato sandwich. It came in a flat pack and when I had made it I had a slice of tomato left over!

IKEA buy MORRUM storage bed x 1 and put double mattress on top. Shit loads of storage space. Problem, I think, if you are well over 6'. Single inc mattress just purchased for daughter about US$290.00 delivered and installed. Possible prob. It may not be available in the US.

Thanks for your replies! :)

I think I'll end up doing something similar to what Apple and Prophet suggest. I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks!

Thanks for your replies! :)

I think I'll end up doing something similar to what Apple and Prophet suggest. I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks!

If you're budget conscious check out a used furniture store. Often people will get rid of a piece of furniture because the top of it has been damaged. It won't matter as it will be covered by a bed.

Maybe four bedside tables? The type with a drawer and a cupboard. As long as they are the same height you could put one pair on one side and a different pair on the other. Check your local paper for used furniture.

Don't forget material to enclose the open space along the sides as your bed will be high. Again, check second hand stores and pick up old drapes. Wash and cut to size. That way you can just throw your clothes and empty pizza boxes under the bed before your girlfriend arrives and your place will look neat and tidy. :lol:

If you're budget conscious check out a used furniture store. Often people will get rid of a piece of furniture because the top of it has been damaged. It won't matter as it will be covered by a bed.

Maybe four bedside tables? The type with a drawer and a cupboard. As long as they are the same height you could put one pair on one side and a different pair on the other. Check your local paper for used furniture.

Don't forget material to enclose the open space along the sides as your bed will be high. Again, check second hand stores and pick up old drapes. Wash and cut to size. That way you can just throw your clothes and empty pizza boxes under the bed before your girlfriend arrives and your place will look neat and tidy. :lol:

Good idea! There is a furniture store up north that sells Microsoft surplus furniture. I've heard of people getting some amazing deals there - one of my friends even found a laptop in one of the desks he bought!

What about one of those wall beds? They make some that aren't ugly and would definitely not cramp your style.

Back