Speed Record

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
Two years ago my son and I were skiing for a week at Smugglers Notch in Vermont. After the first day there we made a plan to hit this run that we scoped out and go all out. The first run of our second day we were first chair so "tucked" the whole way down. He had a Garmin GPS unit that got a decent signal when in his pocket so he could record our top speed. I gave him a ten second start and started to catch him near the bottom, after about two miles. Our top speed was 55.1mph and that record held for quite some time.

He tried to best it at Snowshoe, WV the next season but only got to 54.

Now we both have Droid X phones and there are several apps available that track max speed. I've been using "GPS Speedo" and he's using "GPS Speed Graph". The phone gets a better signal than the old Garmin, and finds satellites much faster.

Last Monday I was at our base mountain in NC and there was no one around early in the morning, so I did a speed run. I raised the family record to 58mph and immediately sent him a text. His reply: "dang, now I have to beat that".

He's at Steamboat this week and has been skiing since Sunday. It's been snowing a lot so conditions were awesome, but not for speed records. Last night it stopped snowing and lots of the trails were fresh groomed. We called me this morning on his second lift ride. The record fell and is now 64.1mph.

Dang, I don't think I can beat that. :palm:

Speedrecord.jpg

I know I can't beat that. :good4u:

Two years ago my son and I were skiing for a week at Smugglers Notch in Vermont. After the first day there we made a plan to hit this run that we scoped out and go all out. The first run of our second day we were first chair so "tucked" the whole way down. He had a Garmin GPS unit that got a decent signal when in his pocket so he could record our top speed. I gave him a ten second start and started to catch him near the bottom, after about two miles. Our top speed was 55.1mph and that record held for quite some time.

He tried to best it at Snowshoe, WV the next season but only got to 54.

Now we both have Droid X phones and there are several apps available that track max speed. I've been using "GPS Speedo" and he's using "GPS Speed Graph". The phone gets a better signal than the old Garmin, and finds satellites much faster.

Last Monday I was at our base mountain in NC and there was no one around early in the morning, so I did a speed run. I raised the family record to 58mph and immediately sent him a text. His reply: "dang, now I have to beat that".

He's at Steamboat this week and has been skiing since Sunday. It's been snowing a lot so conditions were awesome, but not for speed records. Last night it stopped snowing and lots of the trails were fresh groomed. We called me this morning on his second lift ride. The record fell and is now 64.1mph.

Dang, I don't think I can beat that. :palm:

It only happened because your son was skiing on REAL snow...on a REAL mountain...and not on a field of snowcones someone dumped down the side of one of those ridiculous little mosquito bites you people in NC call "mountains".

It only happened because your son was skiing on REAL snow...on a REAL mountain...and not on a field of snowcones someone dumped down the side of one of those ridiculous little mosquito bites you people in NC call "mountains".

The slope that he did it on has a vertical drop of about 1000'. The area that I primarily ski in NC has a drop of 1200'.

Here's a list of all of the mountains in the eastern US above 6000 feet. There are 41 of then, all but one located in North Carolina. Number 17 is Mt. Washington, New Hampshire.

http://www.americasroof.com/6000.shtml

Back