Stephen R. Donaldson

Thorn

For those who were discussing the new series on another thread (Winterborn and ZappasGuitar):

I checked out my two books from the newest (?) series, but didn't refresh my memory by reading the jacket blurbs. The first was called "A Dark and Hungry God Arises"; the second was "Chaos and Order".

There probably is a website for him; I'll check it out at another time; have a lot going on this week and weekend and there's little spare time.

For those who were discussing the new series on another thread (Winterborn and ZappasGuitar):

I checked out my two books from the newest (?) series, but didn't refresh my memory by reading the jacket blurbs. The first was called "A Dark and Hungry God Arises"; the second was "Chaos and Order".

There probably is a website for him; I'll check it out at another time; have a lot going on this week and weekend and there's little spare time.

Actually, the first two books of the Last Chronicles of Thomas covenant are titled: "The Runes of the Earth" and "Fatal Revenant".

Actually, the first two books of the Last Chronicles of Thomas covenant are titled: "The Runes of the Earth" and "Fatal Revenant".

I know, but the ones I mentioned are a completely different series. No Thomas Covenant in sight there. Like you I found the entire series absolutely brilliant. His insight and his imagery are so far above the norm that it's difficult to read a great many other authors.

Wow, I've read all available books in the Chaos and Order series.

Wow, I've read all available books in the Chaos and Order series.

As I recall, our tastes in reading material are very similar in many respects. Are you also a fan of Phillip K. Dick? (Or have I already asked you that about a hundred times?) :p

I personally prefer R.A. Salvatores dark elf books. Fred Saberhagens swords novellas. Joel Rosenbergs guardians of the flame series. but i'm old so go figure.

I'll be damned! The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever! I read the first two seried. Great read! What an unconsciencenable prick! LOL Best anti-hero ever written!

I think my favorite part was in the second series when the evil wizard has Thomas trapped and Thomas utters the name of the Sandgorgon. Fucked up that dudes day! LOL

I personally prefer R.A. Salvatores dark elf books. Fred Saberhagens swords novellas. Joel Rosenbergs guardians of the flame series. but i'm old so go figure.
Saberhagen's books are awesome, as well as the Dark Elf series. Have you read Orson Scott Card's Ender series?

As I recall, our tastes in reading material are very similar in many respects. Are you also a fan of Phillip K. Dick? (Or have I already asked you that about a hundred times?) :p
Actually, no. I haven't read any of his books. But now I will.

Yep read the Ender series, good but a little draggy.

Also by same author, Avalon or something Avalon.

Yep read the Ender series, good but a little draggy.

Also by same author, Avalon or something Avalon.
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were the best of the series, I liked them all, but those two rocked the most.

He also wrote the Alvin Maker series, but I think that one is too much soaked in Mormonism... I liked the first few, but it just kept on going...

Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were the best of the series, I liked them all, but those two rocked the most.

He also wrote the Alvin Maker series, but I think that one is too much soaked in Mormonism... I liked the first few, but it just kept on going...

Yes those were the best. Not sure I even finished the last one.
as I said a bit draggy for me.

I'll be damned! The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever! I read the first two seried. Great read! What an unconsciencenable prick! LOL Best anti-hero ever written!

I think my favorite part was in the second series when the evil wizard has Thomas trapped and Thomas utters the name of the Sandgorgon. Fucked up that dudes day! LOL

"Nom"

Loved the bit with the Sandgorgon!

And so true about him being the best anti-hero ever! How many novels start off with the hero raping a woman!

Actually, no. I haven't read any of his books. But now I will.

I'd suggest beginning with an anthology of some of his short stories. I know that B & N carries some "The Collected Short Stories of Phillip K. Dick" (I think that's a title). There's a series of three of them and I have them all, of course. Two longer novels that come immediately to mind are "The Man in the High Castle" (what if Germany and Japan had won WWII?) and "A Scanner Darkly" about an undercover narco officer. In many respects his works are very dark. Some people have called him paranoid; I've just seen cynicism, which is fine.

I'd suggest beginning with an anthology of some of his short stories. I know that B & N carries some "The Collected Short Stories of Phillip K. Dick" (I think that's a title). There's a series of three of them and I have them all, of course. Two longer novels that come immediately to mind are "The Man in the High Castle" (what if Germany and Japan had won WWII?) and "A Scanner Darkly" about an undercover narco officer. In many respects his works are very dark. Some people have called him paranoid; I've just seen cynicism, which is fine.

I heard he was Dixie's favorite but then again, everyone knows Dixie likes Dick.

Back