Still time for Spinner...

uscitizen

Villified User
Fed up with the fast life
Tired of life on Wall Street, millionaire bond trader Rob Goldenhill bought a Vermont country store. Then he learned the truth about business - and himself.
FORTUNE Small Business Magazine
By David Whitford, FSB Magazine
April 27 2007: 5:51 PM EDT

(FSB Magazine) -- "How big is yours?"

Dave Lyons wants to know. Rob Goldenhill peers at him sideways through a haze of cigarette smoke. A self-described "very immature 55," Goldenhill is lanky and scruffy, self-deprecating and sarcastic, handsome like an older rock & roller. In a former life he made millions trading government bonds on Wall Street.

Seven years ago he moved to southern Vermont, thinking of retirement. Instead he wound up buying the general store here in tiny Williamsville (pop. 337). On this fall night he has locked up as usual at 7, but when regular customer Lyons, another expat entrepreneur (he restores vintage recording consoles in an old furniture factory up the road), knocked on the door, Goldenhill invited him in and poured him a glass of wine.

Now everybody's sitting around a couple of wooden tables in the back - Goldenhill, Lyons, Goldenhill's life partner, Nina, his business partner, Ken and Ken's wife, Denise - drinking wine and listening to music and engaging in a little light sparring. But not about cars or houses or bank accounts or even their anatomies, as they might have in their former lives. This pissing contest is about ponds.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2007/04/01/8403844/index.htm?cnn=yes

read the entire Article Spin...

Sometimes I wonder if spinner isn't a mailman with big delusions. Kind of like Norm from "Cheers".

I mean, I could say I'm a supermodel, or more likely for me, if I were going to make something up; a Columbia professor. I once knew a guy on my old message board, who did the exact opposite. The guy was a phd and teaching, and he told everybody he was a janitor. I believed him too. Once he made this post that he was going to spend "the last of my money" on some food for thanksgiving. I almost cried. Then, months later I was talking to him off-board (we became friends in real life) and he tells me the truth. He said he wanted conservatives to "feel bad". I was like, I felt bad!, the conservatives smirked and said "get a job bum!"

Anyway, you never know what anybody really is in cyberspace.

I was thinking he might be more like the chubby bald guy on Seinfeld Darla :)

Yep you never know how someone looks on the net...Take me for instance. You know what Mel (jew hater) Gibson looks like right ? Well he does not look like me :D

Yeah... I really hate when people pretend to be something they are not on sites like this.

Of course, being omniscient, I know who you all really are.... but I promise not to tell so long as you worship me appropriately.

:burn:

Yeah... I really hate when people pretend to be something they are not on sites like this.

Of course, being omniscient, I know who you all really are.... but I promise not to tell so long as you worship me appropriately.

I really don't care. The first time I started posting on a message board, which was late 01 or early 02, some instinct made me present myself as married. I had never been on anything like it, and I just had this feeling that I should. After about a month or two, I dropped it, I got comfortable. I later had reason to regret that. I should have kept up the married persona, it would have protected me from a lot of bullshit.

And I owe no anonymous moniker on a message board anything about my life. Nor does anyone. Unless it is used to hurt or manipulate somebody else, it's not relevant to me.

:D

LOL! I really hope you meant that as irony...coming from someone posting as "God".

You were nmever noted for your since of humor God. Like that trick you pulled on that guy letting him think he had to sacrifice his son to you. Would have been a mess if that goat had not gotten his horns fouled in the brush....

Back