Still working on getting things fixed from the frickin' storm....

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
And now my air conditioner is on the fritz.. It's 102 degrees in the afternoon here (Fahrenheit, not Celsius, Celsius it is about 39 degrees), and in my house it was 87... I'm hot... LOL.

Air conditioner guy should be coming tomorrow AM. I may sleep in the basement tonight.

And now my air conditioner is on the fritz.. It's 102 degrees in the afternoon here (Fahrenheit, not Celsius, Celsius it is about 39 degrees), and in my house it was 87... I'm hot... LOL.

Air conditioner guy should be coming tomorrow AM. I may sleep in the basement tonight.

At least it cools off at night, my air conditioner was broken here a couple days ago. It was miserable.

And even worse. We have a sneaky frikin' rattler on our property somewhere. It was right outside the LGD Kennel this evening, we had to get our alpha away from the thing before he got bit, but by the time we got things untangled and the dogs inside the enclosed barn room portion the snake had slunk off somewhere and I never got the chance to make sure it was not an issue... (read: shoot it...)

I have the shotgun in the closet near the door now for the next time we spot the critter...

And even worse. We have a sneaky frikin' rattler on our property somewhere. It was right outside the LGD Kennel this evening, we had to get our alpha away from the thing before he got bit, but by the time we got things untangled and the dogs inside the enclosed barn room portion the snake had slunk off somewhere and I never got the chance to make sure it was not an issue... (read: shoot it...)

I have the shotgun in the closet near the door now for the next time we spot the critter...

Why own a gun if it's not ready for use?

I guess maybe if you just target shoot with it but if you have a snake problem it should always be readily available.

And if you have a snake issue you more than likely have a rodent issue so I would take care of that first.

Also remove things that can provide shelter for the snakes, piles of wood, brush, things of that nature

As a last resort you could put up a snake fence around your property, they are fairly simple to do.

Or simply buy a mongoose and let it out at night, no more snake problem.

Rattlesnakes are very easy to handle actually.

Grab them by the rattle and just work your hand up their body, they are not very limber compared to others, grab them by their rattle then grab their head then chop it off. We used to go out and tag them when I was with the university so we dealt with them all the time.

If they are coiled that is a different matter, simply buy or make a prong, a rod about 4 feet in length with two forks at the end to pin them down then do the same thing.

Rattlesnakes are actually not all that dangerous.

Unless you get bit that is. I hear it's quite painful.

Minks also work well.

Last edited:
One of my friends bought one of these for rodents in his chicken house. Shoots both .45 Long Colt/.410 shotgun shell

Taurus_Judge_Magnum_2-441039MAG_QR-724b7a9e.webp

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers...agnum-45-colt-410-mag-matte-stainless-3-00-in

(it won't fix your A/C though...)

Good luck seeing a rodent though.

And why would you need a .45 or a shotgun to kill a rat?

A bit of overkill isn't it?

Just messier to clean up.

.45 for foxes and a .410 for rats because it doesn't hold near the shot or have the velocity a 12 gauge does (and it's cheaper to reload). And, he can afford another toy.

Good gods. Hope you can find a way to get cool before they show up to fix it.

I guess maybe if you just target shoot with it but if you have a snake problem it should always be readily available.

And if you have a snake issue you more than likely have a rodent issue so I would take care of that first.

Also remove things that can provide shelter for the snakes, piles of wood, brush, things of that nature

As a last resort you could put up a snake fence around your property, they are fairly simple to do.

Grab them by the rattle and just work your hand up their body, they are not very limber compared to others, grab them by their rattle then grab their head then chop it off. We used to go out and tag them when I was with the university so we dealt with them all the time.

If they are coiled that is a different matter, simply buy or make a prong, a rod about 4 feet in length with two forks at the end to pin them down then do the same thing.

Minks also work well.

Great advice! Just grab a rattle snake by the rattle!
Somehow I doubt you do that

Good luck seeing a rodent though.

And why would you need a .45 or a shotgun to kill a rat?

A bit of overkill isn't it?

Just messier to clean up.

He doesn't kill rats! He murders the neighbors pets!
That's why he's going to burn in Hell! I'm gathering fire wood!

Minks also work well.

LOL. When you live on more than 200 acres of land you wind up with some rodents, it isn't likely something I'm going to stop.

That's actually a very good question, Tink.

I have a concealed carry permit and nine firearms, everyone of which is in some kind of case in my storage area.
I haven't touched them in longer that I can remember.

The kids will probably sell them after I die.

I hope that one of them keeps my grandfather's old-fashioned break-open revolver however.
That goes back to the days when the family walked heavy.

Here's a video of someone catching a rattlesnake.

This one was a bit too close to my dogs for this kind of thing and by the time I got the dogs under control and safe the snake slithered away. I likely won't see it again as these things tend to want to be away from humans rather than near them.

Back