APP - student and pledge of allegiance

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
scotus has ruled on this and yet the school vice principal ignores it

At a public high school in Maryland, refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance can get students in some pretty hot water.
Recently, a tenth-grader was "repeatedly harassed and intimidated" by teachers and the assistant principal for her lack of participation, according to the ACLU.
Since she was in seventh grade, Enidris Siurano Rodriguez has sat quietly during the Pledge. She's remained seated during the morning ritual for reasons tied to her feelings about United States government policies toward Puerto Rico. It hasn't been a problem until this year.

Rodriguez was told to stand during the pledge by her tenth-grade teacher, Deanna Jennings. She complied for a few months, but after she chose to sit, she was sent to the assistant principal.
David Rocha, staff attorney at the ACLU of Maryland, tells TakePart that "since 1943, it's been clear that schools can't do this." In Maryland specifically, he said that while the statute requires that schools say the pledge every day, students who wish to be excused are to be excused.
The ACLU's letter to school administrators further explains:
The law is crystal clear that a public school cannot embarrass or harass a student for maintaining a respectful silence during the Pledge of Allegiance. “If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein,” the Supreme Court ruled famously in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624, 642 (1943).
Rocha said the assistant principal's reasoning for telling her she must stand was because she felt Rodriguez was being disrespectful to military families and the kids from military families in the school.
The high school Rodriguez attends is part of the Montgomery Country Public School system. There's been more incidents like this, Rocha says, than in any other jurisdiction in the state. "It's surprising," Rocha says, "because Montgomery County is one of the most politically progressive and educated counties in the state."

Aside from the legalities, Rocha says, "the other thing that was egregious about this incident was that it wasn't simply an individual teacher who didn't know what he or she was doing. It was the assistant principal at the school who was berating this kid."
The fact that "someone who cares about educating youth to live in a democracy would do that I find just baffling," Rocha says.

The ACLU's letter to school administrators asking for a meeting to discuss this issue was sent on Tuesday, April 9. The ACLU has yet to hear back

http://news.yahoo.com/student-punished-not-reciting-pledge-allegiance-maryland-200011542.html

I always just laughed at the students who were too lazy to stand (90% of those who didn't) and then mocked the ones who did it out of protest with comments about how rebellious and hip they were being. If they don't love their country, then more power to them.

I always just laughed at the students who were too lazy to stand (90% of those who didn't) and then mocked the ones who did it out of protest with comments about how rebellious and hip they were being. If they don't love their country, then more power to them.

how do you know that they do not love their constitution as much as others do? maybe they love their country more than the sheep that stand and recite a fascist's statement.

and why do you think that they are to lazy to stand?

how do you know that they do not love their constitution as much as others do? maybe they love their country more than the sheep that stand and recite a fascist's statement.

and why do you think that they are to lazy to stand?

Perhaps I was confusing in how I phrased it. About half of the students in my classes would not stand for the Pledge, but most weren't doing it to make a statement - this is America, the Land of Free and the Home of the Lazy. Since they could opt out in most cases without any raised eyebrows, they chose to take a load off their feet. A few would give me the nonsense about not being sheep, and I would remind them that drugs are also for sheep, so it goes both ways. :D

I have mixed thoughts on the subject of the POA.

Legally, I think the "opt out" method that is in place is right and appropriate. The issue I have is with the "under God" part of the pledge itself. Perhaps there are patriotic students and adults that want to recite the Pledge, but because of belonging to another faith other than Christianity, or having no faith at all, they feel obligated not to participate.

It's for this very reason that there is no longer mandatory prayers in our public schools.

Before 1954, "under God" wasn't even part of the pledge, so to give more people access to the pledge, maybe it would be a good idea to go back to the original pledge.

faux outrage bullshit. why is this a media frenzy when there is barely a whisper of the public school teaching that the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right? we should stop calling them schools and label them indoctrination centers from now on.

faux outrage bullshit. why is this a media frenzy when there is barely a whisper of the public school teaching that the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right? we should stop calling them schools and label them indoctrination centers from now on.

Where are schools teaching that the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right?

Regulation does not mean denial

I have mixed thoughts on the subject of the POA.

Legally, I think the "opt out" method that is in place is right and appropriate. The issue I have is with the "under God" part of the pledge itself. Perhaps there are patriotic students and adults that want to recite the Pledge, but because of belonging to another faith other than Christianity, or having no faith at all, they feel obligated not to participate.

It's for this very reason that there is no longer mandatory prayers in our public schools.

Before 1954, "under God" wasn't even part of the pledge, so to give more people access to the pledge, maybe it would be a good idea to go back to the original pledge.
Personally I think this is one of those "Man bites dog" controversies they trot out when it's a slow news cycle.

It's a free country, say the PoA or don't say the PoA..it's their choice and I don't really care which they choose.

Where are schools teaching that the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right?

Regulation does not mean denial
Ahh you've met our resident paranoid. Loonier Than Most is a 2nd ammendment nut and virtually every discussion with him will be about the 2nd ammendment or living in a police state. He's not a constitutional strict constructionist, he's a literalist.

Ahh you've met our resident paranoid. Loonier Than Most is a 2nd ammendment nut and virtually every discussion with him will be about the 2nd ammendment or living in a police state. He's not a constitutional strict constructionist, he's a literalist.
My beliefs are the same as the founding fathers. yours are not.

Back