Study: Gay men have evolutionary benefit

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
G

Guns Guns Guns

For several years, studies led by Andrea Camperio Ciani at the University of Padova in Italy and others have found that mothers and maternal aunts of gay men tend to have significantly more offspring than the maternal relatives of straight men.

The results show strong support for the "balancing selection hypothesis," which is fast becoming the accepted theory of the genetic basis of male homosexuality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/why-are-there-gay-men_n_1590501.html

hmmm think the title is misleading. Everything in this article is about the women, not the gay men. There is no evolutionary advantage to being gay, being gay is a byproduct of an evolutionary advantage that has nothing to do with being gay (i.e. women being more attractive to men). There is a difference.

hmmm think the title is misleading. Everything in this article is about the women, not the gay men. There is no evolutionary advantage to being gay, being gay is a byproduct of an evolutionary advantage that has nothing to do with being gay (i.e. women being more attractive to men). There is a difference.

Did you really expect goober to post something, that was relevant?

Basically there is a gene that makes woman more attractive to the opposite sex and more likely to have lots of children. This gene, when passed to males, makes them gay. This does not mean that "gay men have an evolutionary benefit." The gene has an evolutionary benefit, which is manifested through the women. The male being gay however is just a byproduct of the gene.

Imagine that there was a gene that was given to all men, where 9 out of 10 of them would be able to have sex with any woman at any time by their sheer will. However, the last 1 out 10 would be born with no face. The gene would still be evolutionary advantageous, as 9 out 10 of the men would be having lots of sex and presumably reproducing in some of those scenarios. But that doesn't mean that the guy born with no face all of a sudden has an "evolutionary benefit." He's a byproduct of a gene that is overall a net gain to the species.

note: not saying gay people are comprable to those with no faces.

Last edited:
Grind, we are all byproducts of our genes. Our genes don't care about us. Think about all the stupid things they make us do in order to spread them.

wm legion didn't understand that, he deleted his posts challenging my initial assertion.

nKuFD.png

The point is that it's fallacious to say being gay is an evolutionary advantage. A gene being advantageous is not the same thing as a specific byproduct of the gene being advantageous.

wm legion didn't understand that, he deleted his posts challenging my initial assertion.

nKuFD.png

The point is that it's fallacious to say being gay is an evolutionary advantage. A gene being advantageous is not the same thing as a specific byproduct of the gene being advantageous.

If a specific byproduct of the gene is advantageous enough that the gene is able to survive, then the gene is overall advantageous. However, the gay part of the gene is a negative side effect, because if those gay men had been straight, it'd be even more advantageous.

Last edited:
If a specific byproduct of the gene is advantageous enough that the gene is able to survive, then the gene is overall advantageous. However, the gay part of the gene is a negative side effect, because if those gay men had been straight, it'd be even more advantageous.

yes this is what I've been saying. the gene is advantageous, that doesn't mean a specific byproduct (in this case: homosexuality among males) is advantageous. Do you just like to hear yourself talk or something? O_o

I would say another advantageous byproduct, regarding genetics, is the y-chromosome. Genetically recessive to the X, it just so happens to trigger the massive release of testoserone which causes the male muscular and skeletal systems to be dominant over those of women.

Back