Stupidity in the news

Русский агент

Путин - м&#108
eclipse-eye-today-171208-inline3_a05aae6d8d97224dab11efdd10f964a1.today-inline-large2x.jpg

As Nia Payne waited outside her boyfriend’s Staten Island office to watch the solar eclipse together this past August, she spotted a woman nearby with a pair of eclipse glasses.

Payne asked to borrow the woman's glasses to look up at the rare phenomenon in the sky — not knowing it would change her life forever.

"The glasses seemed normal and I looked at the sky. I looked like everyone else,” Payne, 26, told TODAY.

Payne estimates she glanced at the sun for a total of 30 seconds. About six hours later, she noticed a black spot had formed in the middle of her left eye.

"I knew immediately that something was completely wrong," Payne said.

When she woke in the morning, she still couldn’t see anything in the center of her left eye. "It looks like an invisible spot,” she said.

Payne went to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai, where doctors diagnosed her with solar retinopathy — damage to the retina caused by solar radiation. The condition frequently happens to viewers of solar eclipses because the sun's bright rays are so obscured, people stare at the sky too long.

"The suns rays damage the layers that actually uptake the light to the brain," said Dr. Avnish Deobhakta, a retina surgeon at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai, and author of a recent case study about Payne in JAMA Ophthalmology. "It's almost like (the blind spot) is branded in that retinal area."

Perhaps because Payne was in an area with a partial solar eclipse, her blind spot has an distinct shape. “It looks like a crescent moon in my eye," she said.

“I still want to see a full eclipse,” she said. “It was an amazing experience looking at it, even if it cost me my sight.”

https://www.today.com/health/woman-sustains-burned-retina-after-looking-solar-eclipse-t119831

Back