Suck it: Cali wins agains - world cup

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
i love this state, for all its fault, i love it

San Francisco to host 2013 America's Cup

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – San Francisco will be the site of the 2013 America's Cup, officials said Friday, with a Silicon Valley billionaire giving the "City by the Bay" its first chance to host sailing's biggest event.

The decision on where to stage the 34th Cup was ultimately up to Larry Ellison, chief executive of software company Oracle Corp, whose BMW Oracle team won the event in races off Valencia, Spain, in February 2010.

"The selection of San Francisco today to host the 34th America's Cup marks the beginning of an extraordinary new chapter for our City and for the sport of sailing," Mayor Gavin Newsom said in a statement.

"Together, San Francisco and the ORACLE Racing Team have seized a tremendous opportunity to showcase sailing in the magnificent amphitheater of San Francisco Bay, provide jobs and a more than $1 billion boost to our City's economy and transform the America's Cup experience."

The America's Cup winners are allowed to determine the next location and Ellison, whose company is based 25 miles south of San Francisco, sails for the city's Golden Gate Yacht Club.

Ellison has lauded San Francisco Bay as a "natural amphitheatre" for spectators to view the races, in contrast to events that have been sailed far offshore, and as a place where the winds would be predictable.

While the Oracle founder had also acknowledged the challenge of "red tape" in getting the necessary infrastructure built in San Francisco, he joked that the city's hosting of the race would make his commuting easier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110101/sp_nm/us_sailing_americas

i might go watch this event...and ellison is right, SF is a great amphitheatre

Back