APP - Suit against PC renter raises privacy questions

seems to me that this privacy concern needs to go to scotus

if you rent a computer, should you have privacy rights, i think so

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110504...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDc3VpdGFnYWluc3Rw

I don't see how, just as your privacy rights are not perfect for a house you rent. They are allowed access under certain circumstances by law and per contract. It would depend on what you agreed to in the rental agreement how far they can go, but the owner of the equipment has a right to verify that their equipment isn't being damaged.

I don't see how, just as your privacy rights are not perfect for a house you rent. They are allowed access under certain circumstances by law and per contract. It would depend on what you agreed to in the rental agreement how far they can go, but the owner of the equipment has a right to verify that their equipment isn't being damaged.

while this is true regarding real property, this situation involved either rental or lease to own property and the security measures were not in the contract

it was the video portion that was most extreme as it was built into the equipment and ran whenever the equipment was on -without the knowledge of the rentee

you should always learn about whatever it is you're going to buy, rent, or even steal. trying to use a computer without knowing everything that's on it is plain stupid.

true...but they aren't allowed to look in your file cabinet to make sure you're not harming their property

Those allegations appear in a federal lawsuit alleging that the firm, Atlanta-based Aaron's Inc., loaded computers with spyware to track renters' keystrokes, make screenshots and even take webcam images of them using the devices at home. The suit filed by a Wyoming couple Tuesday raises anew questions of how invasive custodians of technology should be in protecting their equipment.

i believe this akin to installing a video camera in the house you're renting....which is of course illegal.

Back