SURPRISE-Most commonly spoken languges in the US besides English & Spanish

Bill

Malarkeyville
CBOX_BlattLanguage_2.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ion_between_popular_books_and_baby_names.html

A few I found very surprising~the Asian languages..
I'm not. The Hmong and Vietnamese were refugees settled in those States by the Government in large numbers after the war. Filipinos, until rather recently when they discovered Las Vegas, knowledge of US Geography is California and "next to California." and have been immigrating to California in large numbers since WWII.

Interesting trend. Until 1960 most immigrants to the US came from Europe. Since 1960 the majority of immigrants have come from Latin America but that's about to change as Asians are poised to displace Latinos as our largest immigrant group.

I'm not. The Hmong and Vietnamese were refugees settled in those States by the Government in large numbers after the war. Filipinos, until rather recently when they discovered Las Vegas, knowledge of US Geography is California and "next to California." and have been immigrating to California in large numbers since WWII.
There are many still coming here from the Philippines... Most of the nurses in the local hospitals graduated from good nursing school there, as well as LVN's etc..

Nice map; it tells a lot of stories and a lot of lessons could be learned from it.

The most useful languages to me would be Russian and French. I speak some conversational Russian, but I could really use a crash course in French. Basically so that when I visit my relatives in Quebec, I am not laughed out of the province.

A tertiary goal for me is to learn Cornish. I have a pipe dream of being among the 300 people on the planet to speak it!

Last edited:
I wasn't surprised by German in CO. My grandfather was born in Sterling, CO... and his birth certificate is written entirely in German.

Interesting tidbit. While my Grandfather fought in the European theater in WWII my Great Uncle was at the government run German work camp for prisoners in Georgetown, CO. (Yeah, the Japanese went to camps, the Germans went to work camps)...

(And no, I am not German myself, my father was adopted by my grandfather and my genetic heritage is entirely different).

I wasn't surprised by German in CO. My grandfather was born in Sterling, CO... and his birth certificate is written entirely in German.

Interesting tidbit. While my Grandfather fought in the European theater in WWII my Great Uncle was at the government run German work camp for prisoners in Georgetown, CO. (Yeah, the Japanese went to camps, the Germans went to work camps)...

(And no, I am not German myself, my father was adopted by my grandfather and my genetic heritage is entirely different).

Where I grew up German is no surprise. Lots of German immigrants settled in Western Ohio around 1900 to 1920 so a lot of people, particularly Catholic farmers, spoke German as I was growing up.

Back