APP - Taboo the series

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
I just saw the first episode of the TV Series / TABOO and since this has already been on BBC, I was wondering if you believe the rest of the series will be just as interesting?

<I made this between Tom and I; because I tire of the thread-jacking that so many are wont to do.>

Taboo (2017 TV series)

Taboo is a British television drama series first broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom on 7 January 2017 and in the United States on FX on 10 January 2017. It is created by Steven Knight, Tom Hardy and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy, from a story written by Tom, with directorial duties shared by Kristoffer Nyholm (The Killing), and Anders Engström (Jordskott).

The eight-part series is set in 1814 and centers on James Delaney (Tom Hardy) who returns to Britain, after twelve years in Africa, with fourteen stolen diamonds, seeking vengeance following the death of his father.

Before the broadcast of Taboo, Steven Knight said, "This man, James Delaney, is a deeply flawed and deeply troubled human being. His greatest struggle will be against the East India Company which, throughout the 19th century, was the equivalent of the CIA, the NSA [US National Security Agency] and the biggest, baddest multinational corporation on earth, all rolled into one self-righteous, religiously-motivated monolith." This description surprised some historians, who argued it would give an excessively negative view of the East India Company.

Last edited:
I watched the first episode this afternoon, will try to get round to the next tonight. It is shaping up to be a real corker and is as you say very dark. It is based on real events and Tom Hardy wrote the series with his scriptwriter father.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

I watched the first episode this afternoon, will try to get round to the next tonight. It is shaping up to be a real corker and is as you say very dark. It is based on real events and Tom Hardy wrote the series with his scriptwriter father.

I didn't realize that it was based on real events.
I did a double take, on some the language.
What did you think?

I didn't realize that it was based on real events.
I did a double take, on some the language.
What did you think?
It is unbelievably gritty and doesn't shirk from portraying the hardness of life back in those days. What pisses me off is that I won't be able to watch more than four episodes as I'll be in South East Asia. It is shaping up to be a real blockbuster. IMDB gives it 9.2 which is a huge score. Have to catch the rerun!

It is unbelievably gritty and doesn't shirk from portraying the hardness of life back in those days. What pisses me off is that I won't be able to watch more than four episodes as I'll be in South East Asia. It is shaping up to be a real blockbuster. IMDB gives it 9.2 which is a huge score. Have to catch the rerun!

OH, I firmly believe that it's a fairly accurate depiction of how things were, at that time.

I wonder if liberals would have marched, back then. :p

You might find this article in the Radio Times interesting.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...c1s-taboo-takes-on-the-formidable-corporation

Good read.

I was watching last night and realized what a really great historical teaching tool the shoe could be, to show how people and things were during that time.
Not to say it was just England; but the mindset that most of the world held, during that time.

Those in power treated those with less status, pretty terrible; but those of the lesser status treated those beneath them, in identical manner and so on and so on.

Way too may films have been made, that makes the time period appear to be glamorous and cultured; but most of it was the exact opposite.

The average life expectancy was in the mid 30's and that was only for the lucky few, who stayed healthy.

Yes, it was not good to be a peasant in those times, life was nasty and death was always round the corner.

I haven't been able to watch anything past episode 3 as I'm in Thailand. Are you still watching it?

Back