Take Cover: A Michael Bay-Produced Remake Of Hitchcock’s The Birds Is Happening

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Is nothing sacred? When it is Michael Bay apparently not.

Birds2.jpg

It could be the most terrifying motion picture ever made!

If, like us, this is the first you’re hearing about this particular project, we’re sorry. We’re so, so sorry.

Platinum Dunes (Michael Bay’s company) and Mandalay Pictures are producing a remake of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds for Universal. The 1963 classic starred Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor. The Hollywood Reporter says, “Naomi Watts has been loosely attached to star in the film for years, but her involvement is script-dependent.

Jonathan Herman penned the most recent version of the screenplay.”

But don’t worry, at least Bay isn’t directing this one. That job looks to be going to Dutch director Diederik Van Rooijen.

This isn’t the first time one of Hitchcock’s films has been remade but it isn’t any less depressing. THR also adds, “In the past, the studio has stressed that the redo will owe more to the Daphne du Maurier short story than the Hitchcock version based on it.”

Watts would be a great choice for the lead role but this is one I won’t be looking forward to.

http://www.themarysue.com/michael-bay-birds-remake/

Well, they already remade Psycho and Rear Window. I guess next we can look forward to my personal favourite, Vertigo.

The remake of Psycho by Gus van Sant was a clone which even used the original shooting script. I hadn't realised that there was a remake of Rear Window, had to look that one up! I love Vertigo but there are many others as well. The Man Who Knew Too Much, Notorious, Rope and North by Northwest spring to mind.

Well, Hitchcock made The Man Who Knew Too Much twice as it was. Then there was The Man Who Knew Too Little, which is pretty hilarious.

Well, Hitchcock made The Man Who Knew Too Much twice as it was. Then there was The Man Who Knew Too Little, which is pretty hilarious.

True, I've seen both and prefer the Brit version. However the 1956 version is far glossier and has Doris Day, who I've always had a soft spot for, it was her 90th birthday on Thursday by the way.

True, I've seen both and prefer the Brit version. However the 1956 version is far glossier and has Doris Day, who I've always had a soft spot for, it was her 90th birthday on Thursday by the way.

The Brit version is orders of magnitude better than the newer one. Doris Day singing in that one is gag-worthy.

The remake of Psycho by Gus van Sant was a clone which even used the original shooting script. I hadn't realised that there was a remake of Rear Window, had to look that one up! I love Vertigo but there are many others as well. The Man Who Knew Too Much, Notorious, Rope and North by Northwest spring to mind.

My faves include Shadow of a Doubt, The Thirty-Nine Steps, Frenzy, The Lodger, Suspicion, and Psycho. His earlier movies as opposed to the later ones.

My faves include Shadow of a Doubt, The Thirty-Nine Steps, Frenzy, The Lodger, Suspicion, and Psycho. His earlier movies as opposed to the later ones.

I can never decide if I like Frenzy, as the movie is just disturbing. I guess my favorites are Vertigo, Rebecca, Man Who Knew Too Much, and Psycho. I feel like he lost something when he did Psycho, though. Instead of haunting or mysterious, his films became brutal and repulsive.

I can never decide if I like Frenzy, as the movie is just disturbing. I guess my favorites are Vertigo, Rebecca, Man Who Knew Too Much, and Psycho. I feel like he lost something when he did Psycho, though. Instead of haunting or mysterious, his films became brutal and repulsive.

I prefer disturbing and delving into tortured psyches. :D

Rebecca was okay but I like the Masterpiece Theatre version a lot better, in fact I bought it.

I'm presently rooting for actress Patricia Morison who just recently turned 99. She was the villainess in Dresses to Kill, my family's favorite Rathbone Holmes film. She was in the Broadway version of Kiss Me Kate.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Morison

I'm presently rooting for actress Patricia Morison who just recently turned 99. She was the villainess in Dresses to Kill, my family's favorite Rathbone Holmes film. She was in the Broadway version of Kiss Me Kate.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Morison

OMG I LOVE Dressed to Kill, it's my absolute favorite Rathbone film. Those English public school nicknames are a crack-up, "Stinky" Emery.

The totally different Dressed to Kill with Michael Caine is also pretty good.

The Brit version is orders of magnitude better than the newer one. Doris Day singing in that one is gag-worthy.

Agreed that the 1934 is far superior but I just like Doris Day. I especially like the concert at the Albert Hall at the end, did you know that Bernard Hermann was the conductor?

doris-day-1-600.jpg

Foreign Correspondent and Rope are pretty damn good as well, but North by Northwest is hard to beat especially with Eve Marie Saint, Martin Landau and good old Cary G.

Last edited:
I think Hitchcock was at his best in the 50s. The remake of Man Who Knew Too Much was pretty good, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, and North by Northwest are excellent, and Vertigo is his masterpiece (in my opinion). Obviously, he made some great films back pre-50s, and when he was still in Britain, but he put in a solid decade of work during the 50s.

Back