Texas Tea

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
January 7:

Iraq's massive oil reserves, the third-largest in the world, are about to be thrown open for large-scale exploitation by Western oil companies under a controversial law which is expected to come before the Iraqi parliament within days.

The US government has been involved in drawing up the law, a draft of which has been seen by The Independent on Sunday. It would give big oil companies such as BP, Shell and Exxon 30-year contracts to extract Iraqi crude and allow the first large-scale operation of foreign oil interests in the country since the industry was nationalised in 1972.

. . .

Oil industry executives and analysts say the law, which would permit Western companies to pocket up to three-quarters of profits in the early years, is the only way to get Iraq's oil industry back on its feet after years of sanctions, war and loss of expertise. But it will operate through "production-sharing agreements" (or PSAs) which are highly unusual in the Middle East, where the oil industry in Saudi Arabia and Iran, the world's two largest producers, is state controlled.

Opponents say Iraq, where oil accounts for 95 per cent of the economy, is being forced to surrender an unacceptable degree of sovereignty.

. . .

Supporters say the provision allowing oil companies to take up to 75 per cent of the profits will last until they have recouped initial drilling costs. After that, they would collect about 20 per cent of all profits, according to industry sources in Iraq. But that is twice the industry average for such deals.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2132569.ece

bush expanded our oil supply without having to drill anwar!!! he will go down in history as the.greatest.president.ever!!!!!!!!!!!! kinda like how the west was won...................yeeeeha, cowboy!!!

if you can't do business with them, just take it!!!!! shrub must have watched 'the godfather' movies a few times!!!

ya knw; right after shrub took office in 2001, i said that this posse makes the clowntoon gangsters look like a bunch of boyscouts!!! right on the money!!!!

I think the political instability will probably hinder these efforts anyway. Terrorists have a tendancy to target oil reserves and production facilities as a way of "getting back" at the west. I just don't see the Iraqi's coming together as one anytime soon, but if they were to do so, I'm pretty sure the almighty dollar would be as good an incentive as any.

haha! as soon as the 'legal' 'coownership' is lock in, watch the military kick those insurgence asses and 'win' the war.....leaving, of course, a 'small' peic keeping pforcde at our many bases they have been building in the last three years...totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! and they called willie 'slick'...shrub is just covered in oil!!!

LOL, They can't even keep the oil flowing, We are buying fuel for the Iraqi people in Kuwait, and trucking it in to them and there still is not enough for the Iraqi, let alone for export.

Last edited:
just give it time. i was wrong. i thought this wa about putting iran in a ox (which it is, partially), but it's just good old fashioned larceny!!!

why do you think shrub doesn't want to leave (well, we never will leave completely anyway)? things aren't all in place yet.

i predict bush will indeed conduct a troop escalation telling nancy blowsi and dirty hary to go f themselves. they are gonn ahve to blink cuz if they cut off the cash for the trrops, the people are gonn gret pissed when the body count goes up and the cons are blaming the dems with holding of money after all their bs about the safety of the trrops being such a high priority.

the dems are gonna get their asses kicked big time in this issue if bush doesn't knuckle under to them first (he wont').

Why not just pass a resoloution ending the US involvement in Iraq ? Why would cutting war funding be the only way to pull the troops home ?
congress told bush ne coupd play over there , they can tell him to come in because playtime is over. Time for mommy Barb to read my pet pony to Georgie boy....

won't happen. the people want a WIN, not a cut and run. they don't want us to leave and have the place explode; they want the dems to come up with a solution to stop the fighting THEN leave ASAP. the people are voting against the current way of 'fighting' this war and aren't happy that we aren't 'winning'. the war had good support when everyone thought it would be a cakewalk..

the dems know all this and are bluffing shrub; they need to be very careful here, or they will have to splain a total disaster (and not only lose congress next election, but also possibly the presidency, if they screw this up).

they need to have any disastrous outcome look like it's shrub fault, and that will be hard to do if theire actions wind up in disaster in iraq. they won't be gambling too big.

they are just threatening, but will let shrub do what he wants, cuz if they do, any disastrous outcome will rest with shrub in 2008, and they have a better chance of TOTAL control of the fed gvt. they won't do anything that might screw up that possiblity.

So this war is now the Demos problem to solve ? Wow, how handy for the Repubs ;)
I predicted this move due to the personal responsibility of the repubs.

Shurb's going to keep american troops in Iraq until his term's over, so he can turn his mess over to the next president.

Shurb's going to keep american troops in Iraq until his term's over, so he can turn his mess over to the next president.

I agree, that appears to be his goal.
Bushie seems to think if you throw enough resources at it you can make a slik purse from a sows ear.

also, I don't think this oil deal helps dispell the notion in iraq, and in the arab world that we're occupying iraq for oil, and western corporate interests.

We have to balance american interest, against the interests of ExxonMobil.

also, I don't think this oil deal helps dispell the notion in iraq, and in the arab world that we're occupying iraq for oil, and western corporate interests.

We have to balance american interest, against the interests of ExxonMobil.
umm, I think our current gummit seems to think Exxon and big oil is America.

to paraphrase, it seems the admin believes that what's good for exxon/mobil is good for america.

and, yes, the dems wanted the responsibility for the war; it's what they ran on, so now they got what they asked for (be careful of wht you ask for; you just might get it!)

and of course shrub is going to keep troops there til the end of his terms. he intends that we never completely leave iraq at all.

and the next president will propably concur; whether dem or rep

Back