Thank you to all the Vets...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member

Since Tomorrow is Veterans Day, and most of us check out on the weekends I thought I'd post my thank yous today....

What is a Vet?

Some Veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing
limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone
together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg, or perhaps another sort
of inner steel... the soul's alloy forged in the refinery of
adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept
America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a vet just by looking.

So, what is a vet?

He's the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia
sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel
carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He's the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks,
whose Overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times
in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the
38th parallel.

She (or he) is the nurse who fought against futility and went to
sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He's the POW who went away one person and came back another...
or didn't come back at all.

He's the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat,
but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account
rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to
watch each other's backs.

He's the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and
medals with a prosthetic hand.

He's the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals
pass him by.

He's the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns,
whose Presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever
preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies
unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's
sunless deep.

He's the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket, palsied
now and aggravatingly slow, who helped liberate a Nazi death camp
and who wished all day long that his wife were still alive to
hold him when the nightmares come.

He's an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person
who offered some of this life's most vital years in the service
of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would
not have to sacrifice theirs.

He's a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness,
and he's nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on
behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our
Country, just lean over and say, "Thank you!" That's all most
people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals
they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean so much, "Thank You!"

It's the soldier, sailor, marine and airman, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It's the soldier, sailor, marine and airman, not the campus
organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, sailor, marine and airman, who salute the
flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by
the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

- Anonymous

Some members I know to be Vets...

Maineman
Prakosh
Damocles
Battleborne
dmp
Egroeg
uscitizen

If I have forgotten you, please post below and remind me... It was not done purposefully!

Well, from a female perspective....

On CNN tonight, they showed a clip or two from a few guys, marines that had served in Iraq over a year ago....they were both handsome young men and so proud to be in the marines,

one of them spoke about how scared he was while in Faluja, and how hard they fought there daily...and that it was the hardest duty he had ever served...

and the other Marine was also proud to be serving his country, and spoke about the scary conditions in Iraq...and he said that after serving his time there in august of 05, and hearing taps played for the official goodbye to many fellow soldiers there, that he would forever remember his fellow soldiers on Veterans Day and that for the rest of his life he knew when he heard taps played, it would bring back all of his memories in Iraq and of his fellow comrads...it was live video of him a year ago....and I was so proud of him, as if he were my own son, my own child....then they showed another clip of this guy in august of this year on the battlefield AGAIN in Iraq, saying that he was REDEPLOYED there for his second or maybe it was third tour of duty...

and I thought about how hard he was having to work for ALL OF US, having to go back to Iraq again and again...they had shown another clip of him saying that one thing is for sure, as advice to other soldiers getting ready to go there, that they need to make peace with their loved ones before going over there and that it was time to make peace and get things right with your MAKER....

well, of course I teared up when he said that...because I thought of how brave he really was, and how aware he really was of his dangerous conditions which could not be good for anyone's stress level...

Then they cut this video short and froze in on him with a still life....

My heart fell to the ground.

I feared what I was going to hear next from the CNN anchor...

And I heard it...

This Marine that was so handsome and so smart and so giving to his country, and so aware of his life, his loves, his family and with his maker...

Was killed by a roadside bomb on October 22, 2006...less than a month ago. :( and so was the other sharp marine that they had done a close up on over a year ago, when he was on his first tour, but killed this past month on his second tour... gawd, I just could not stop crying....

I was so enjoying these interviews that they had with these two young marines...

I had no idea it was NOT going to have a happy ending, that they were going to be dead....

I hate war, peace, not war....unless the ONLY RESORT in protecting ourselves, otherwise a bunch of young men like these guys they previewed, will have died for a cause not worthy of dying for, imho...

Anyway, thank you to all Veterans, my Father who was a lifer in the Air Force, 22 years and my husband who had enlisted in the Army for a four year term, and to all of you handsome service men and veteran service men on site! ;)

Last edited:
I hate this sentence...you know, the one we all babble when we meet a veteran...."Thank you for your service"...then we go on with the conversation....

"Thank you for your Service", is too simple of a statement to make...too easy of a statement to just rattle off one's tongue without giving true thought and meaning and understanding of what the "Service" that they give, really entails.....

I am still haunted by the documentory I saw with these two young marines that I spoke about above.... I can't stop thinking about them, about their families, about their intelligence, about their personalities, about their strength and about their courage and about their lives....lives they no longer have, lives they gave up for us....yes, us....they served us, through our military, their duty....what they are told to do, and they do it proudly, they serve proudly, they know they will and can be killed...

"thank you for your service"....just doesn't cut it, imo...and I know I have said it a kazillion times myself....

After seeing these two young men, in their prime, proud to be marines, scared yet courageous, talking to you and me in these interviews as though they were BLESSED to make it through their tours in Iraq, describing the frightening and horrid conditions of war and how they mourned their fellow service men's lives with Taps, how these dead will be with them forever...

Only to end with them being DEAD themselves, less than a month ago....man, it just haunts me.... I can't stop feeling the sadness and pain their families must be going through, I can't stop crying, even now....

"Thank you for your service"...so easy to say without true understanding of what this really means...

I will NEVER, EVER AGAIN in my lifetime, say those words to anyone, without thinking about these two soldiers in the CNN special...these two dead guys....

I have been changed....I let myself feel what they must have felt and what their families must have felt and are feeling today....

"thank you, for your love of your country and your fellow countrymen, thank you for your willingness to take a bullet for me and my freedoms, for being strong in frightening and unbearable conditions, thank you for being ready, willing, and able to do such, for me and for my family".

And even that, is not enough to say.

And yes, I still believe this war was one we were mislead in to....but that is not our soldiers or any veterans fault.... they are giving their service and doing their duty, as they should be doing. Because of their strength and willingness to die for us, leaving this world for us, it is OUR DUTY to NOT put them in Wars that can be handled with diplomatic means....war should ALWAYS be a last resort in protecting ourselves.

care

Last edited:
I hate this sentence...you know, the one we all babble when we meet a veteran...."Thank you for your service"...then we go on with the conversation....

"Thank you for your Service", is too simple of a statement to make...too easy of a statement to just rattle off one's tongue without giving true thought and meaning and understanding of what the "Service" that they give, really entails.....

I am still haunted by the documentory I saw with these two young marines that I spoke about above.... I can't stop thinking about them, about their families, about their intelligence, about their personalities, about their strength and about their courage and about their lives....lives they no longer have, lives they gave up for us....yes, us....they served us, through our military, their duty....what they are told to do, and they do it proudly, they serve proudly, they know they will and can be killed...

"thank you for your service"....just doesn't cut it, imo...and I know I have said it a kazillion times myself....

After seeing these two young men, in their prime, proud to be marines, scared yet courageous, talking to you and me in these interviews as though they were BLESSED to make it through their tours in Iraq, describing the frightening and horrid conditions of war and how they mourned their fellow service men's lives with Taps, how these dead will be with them forever...

Only to end with them being DEAD themselves, less than a month ago....man, it just haunts me.... I can't stop feeling the sadness and pain their families must be going through, I can't stop crying, even now....

"Thank you for your service"...so easy to say without true understanding of what this really means...

I will NEVER, EVER AGAIN in my lifetime, say those words to anyone, without thinking about these two soldiers in the CNN special...these two dead guys....

I have been changed....I let myself feel what they must have felt and what their families must have felt and are feeling today....

"thank you, for your love of your country and your fellow countrymen, thank you for your willingness to take a bullet for me and my freedoms, for being strong in frightening and unbearable conditions, thank you for being ready, willing, and able to do such, for me and for my family".

And even that, is not enough to say.

And yes, I still believe this war was one we were mislead in to....but that is not our soldiers or any veterans fault.... they are giving their service and doing their duty, as they should be doing. Because of their strength and willingness to die for us, leaving this world for us, it is OUR DUTY to NOT put them in Wars that can be handled with diplomatic means....war should ALWAYS be a last resort in protecting ourselves.

care

It's very sad Care. One of the things that has just driven me nuts, is that being an anti-war activist, you have no idea how many times I have heard that I'm hurting the troops or demoralizing them, or don't I understand that they are fighting for me? And it's very difficult to explain to someone that from the moment you first heard the talk of invading Iraq, you felt in your very core that there was no good reason for it, and that all of the death that followed was a waste of young lives. When my local CodePink group made a pink ribbon for every soldier killed, as a memorial, I had to do 8 months, and that meant going to CNN and going through all of those names and their pictures. It was chilling and heartbreaking. All of the 21 year olds who had "the third" or "the second" after their names, and you knew there would never be a third or a fourth. Some of the pictures were of happy faces, and others looked into the camera as if somehow they already knew. I've always felt if it wasn't something I would risk my life for, then I have no right to ask someone else to risk theirs. They are volunteers, but there is a trust, an implicit contract in that. And that implicit contract is, only when there is no other alternative. That was not the case. It's all really very sad.

And the ones who don't die, and come home, many of them will never be the same. Not ever.

Its our duty to finish what was started. So their sacrafice is not in vane. Leaving just to end the war means you will have to fight again another time and place and maybe not of your chosing.

Wars are a necessary evil.

So who hit the ...

Veterans Day parades today? I did in my little town...11 month eleventh day 11th hour the parade started...hit em' every year...and shed a tear for our newest members...The only parade I got was a spitter at Ft.Ord California...on return...I keep a diligent vigilance for them at our parades...They would not dare in my little town!;)

Back