Thanksgiving PSA

Teflon Don

I'm back baby
As we all prepare for a day of relaxation I thought I would pass along some do’s and don’ts so you can be assured of a tender moist bird if you choose turkey

First do not wet brine your turkey. It is a wast of space and herbs. Very little can penetrate the skin and the meat because of the size of the molecules

Dry brine your bird instead. Use kosher salt and sprinkle it on the skin (about 1/4 tsp per pound) and let sit in the fridge uncovered.

Another technique is to inject the bird. This definitely guarantees everything gets in

I know people who swear by wet brining but they are wrong. They are probably the same people who swear by boiling ribs before they cook em.

Also don’t wash your turkey before you cook it. You aren’t going to wash off the bacteria and you actually run the risk of spreading salmonella and campylobacter all over your kitchen.

Here are some tips on mashed potatoes

1) use Yukon Gold
2) cut into cubes
3) cook until tender
4) after you drain them put them back in the pot and put them back on the stove for about four minutes. This helps dry them out more. Water is bad
5) Warm some whipping cream and butter in a sauce pan
6) don’t use a mixer use a hand masher or a ricer (I prefer a hand masher because I like to leave the skin on)
7) salt and pepper to taste

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving

Back