The best dish you cook

Tinkerpeach

For me it's simple, steak on the grill and a baked potato.

The steak is cooked to 130 degrees making it perfectly medium rare and the baked potato is loaded with butter, cheese, sour cream, chives and bacon.

Not an overly complicated dish.

I am a very good cook but haven't had much experience making casseroles which I would like to get into.

What are some of the dishes you folks cook that excel above the rest, can be anything from a spaghetti sauce to some sort of seafood.

I would love to get some ideas to expand my repertoire.

Chicken fried deer tenderloin, biscuits and gravy, old fashioned fried potatoes, green beans with a romaine lettuce based salad.

I don’t know if it’s the best thing I cook but I sure like it when I do. I only cook this about once a year. This used to be common fare when I was a kid but nowadays the doc frowns on too much fried stuff. They probably did back then too but I was oblivious to such demands.

For lunch today, smoked squirrel boats … a good way to cook old, tough squirrels.

Per boat — 1 squirrel cleaned and quartered (well, these are quartered I usually leave them whole when I cook them this way), 1/2 medium potato, 1 carrot and 1/4 medium onion cut in slivers. Salt everything to taste then place in aluminum foil boat. Smoke at 225° F for at least 3 hours.

I’m doing two boats today.

Enjoy…

For me it's simple, steak on the grill and a baked potato.

The steak is cooked to 130 degrees making it perfectly medium rare and the baked potato is loaded with butter, cheese, sour cream, chives and bacon.

Not an overly complicated dish.

I am a very good cook but haven't had much experience making casseroles which I would like to get into.

What are some of the dishes you folks cook that excel above the rest, can be anything from a spaghetti sauce to some sort of seafood.

I would love to get some ideas to expand my repertoire.

Same but with a tossed salad; lettuce, tomatoes (cherry preferred), red onions. Sometimes I toss in frozen fruit or dried berries (cranberries, raisins, golden raisins).

Another dish is parsley potatoes; usually served with baked tilapia. Nuke red potatoes for about 2 minutes a side, chop into chunks then throw into a cooking pan with half a stick of butter, some garlic salt and parsley to taste. Med-low heat, cover and stir occasionally over 15 minutes then simmer.

The fish is placed on a bed of sliced onions and lemon with olive oil and then covered with the same before baking.

Same but with a tossed salad; lettuce, tomatoes (cherry preferred), red onions. Sometimes I toss in frozen fruit or dried berries (cranberries, raisins, golden raisins).

Another dish is parsley potatoes; usually served with baked tilapia. Nuke red potatoes for about 2 minutes a side, chop into chunks then throw into a cooking pan with half a stick of butter, some garlic salt and parsley to taste. Med-low heat, cover and stir occasionally over 15 minutes then simmer.

The fish is placed on a bed of sliced onions and lemon with olive oil and then covered with the same before baking.

You should never microwave your food unless it is specifically made for that.

Like a hot pocket.

That is a lazy man's way of cooking.

You should never microwave your food unless it is specifically made for that.

Like a hot pocket.

That is a lazy man's way of cooking.

It's also a faster way of cooking and more energy efficient. In 100 degree days of Summer, the choice of nuking potatoes for 4 minutes or baking at 400 in an oven for 60 minutes is a no-brainer.

Do you believe the microwaves get in the food, Tink?

Chicken fried deer tenderloin, biscuits and gravy, old fashioned fried potatoes, green beans with a romaine lettuce based salad.

I don’t know if it’s the best thing I cook but I sure like it when I do. I only cook this about once a year. This used to be common fare when I was a kid but nowadays the doc frowns on too much fried stuff. They probably did back then too but I was oblivious to such demands.

Yes, I avoid fried foods too and favor rotisserie, air frying or baking.

For lunch today, smoked squirrel boats … a good way to cook old, tough squirrels.

Per boat — 1 squirrel cleaned and quartered (well, these are quartered I usually leave them whole when I cook them this way), 1/2 medium potato, 1 carrot and 1/4 medium onion cut in slivers. Salt everything to taste then place in aluminum foil boat. Smoke at 225° F for at least 3 hours.

I’m doing two boats today.

Enjoy…

Looks good! Not many squirrels around here, but I'll try that with rabbit in the Fall.

It's also a faster way of cooking and more energy efficient. In 100 degree days of Summer, the choice of nuking potatoes for 4 minutes or baking at 400 in an oven for 60 minutes is a no-brainer.

Do you believe the microwaves get in the food, Tink?

Of course not but they don't kill as much bacteria as regular cooking methods because microwaves operate at a lower heat.

This increases the chances of food poisoning so you definitely do not want to cook things like raw chicken or ground beef in a microwave.

Also, microwaving does not spread heat as well as conventional cooking methods meaning some parts heat up faster than others leading to overcooked or undercooked food in some cases.

Generally foods specifically made for the microwave are fine as well as reheating but for the original dish a microwave is just not as good.

2 inch ribeyes on the grill to medium rare for dinner

breakfast consists of frying 2 pounds of bacon, one pound in each frying pan. then fry diced potatos mixed with onions and green peppers in one pan, sprinkled with salt and pepper, eggs to order in the other pan. I prefer over easy.

Of course not but they don't kill as much bacteria as regular cooking methods because microwaves operate at a lower heat.

This increases the chances of food poisoning so you definitely do not want to cook things like raw chicken or ground beef in a microwave.

Also, microwaving does not spread heat as well as conventional cooking methods meaning some parts heat up faster than others leading to overcooked or undercooked food in some cases.

Generally foods specifically made for the microwave are fine as well as reheating but for the original dish a microwave is just not as good.

How much bacteria is inside a potato, Tink?

Understood about the issues, but it's not a problem with baked potatoes and other foods. https://hygienefoodsafety.org/does-microwave-kill-bacteria/

How much bacteria is inside a potato, Tink?

Understood about the issues, but it's not a problem with baked potatoes and other foods. https://hygienefoodsafety.org/does-microwave-kill-bacteria/

I find even potatoes have a much better taste when you grill them.

Vegetables for sure.

Microwaving can also reduce the effectiveness of seasonings to some degree.

So although microwaving is generally safe for most foods there are other, better ways to cook.

You should also never use a microwave to thaw anything out which is something I've seen a lot of people do.

I find even potatoes have a much better taste when you grill them.

Vegetables for sure.

Microwaving can also reduce the effectiveness of seasonings to some degree.

So although microwaving is generally safe for most foods there are other, better ways to cook.

You should also never use a microwave to thaw anything out which is something I've seen a lot of people do.
I like grilling them too, but that isn't how parsley potatoes are made.

Never made them so I defer to your wisdom then.

My wife loves them. Of course, put enough butter on any veggie and everyone loves them. LOL

Mostly I do baked, mashed or frozen french fries in the toaster oven. Parsley potatoes are little too work intensive for this lazy cook. :)

On the grill, I like to nuke them for about 2-3 minutes then quarter length-wise and toss the wedges on the grill.

Ribs on a charcoal grill!

barbecue-ribs.jpg

images

Tonight after church so it’s pre-prepped — Cajun Catfish Tacos topped with a bit of slaw. Brown beans on the side.

Back