The Challenger

cancel2 2022

Canceled
I am watching the BBC Scotland docudrama 'The Challenger about Richard Feynman and the search for the reasons why the Challenger exploded in 1986. I don't know if anybody in the US has seen it yet, but it is just brilliant. William Hurt does a fine job playing Feynman.

When Challenger exploded 73 seconds into its flight on the morning of 28 January 1986, it represented one of the most shocking events in the history of American spaceflight. A Presidential Commission was immediately convened to explore what had gone wrong, but with the vast complexity of the space shuttle and so many vested interests involved in the investigation, discovering the truth presented an almost impossible challenge. A truly independent member of the investigation was Richard Feynman. One of the most accomplished scientists of his generation, he worked on the Manhattan Project building the first atom bomb and won the Nobel Prize for his breakthroughs in quantum physics. Feynman deployed exceptional integrity, charm and relentless scientific logic to investigate the secrets of the Shuttle disaster and in doing so, helped make the US Space Programme safer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2421662/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Rubber freezes and becomes brittle during low temperatures.

/Documentary

You are much smarter than that, that's the sort of thing that USF or ILA would say. For instance, it was only on her death in 2012 that General Kutyna revealed that Sally Ride was the source of the info about the O rings. The investigating commission wanted to have an unproven verdict and it was only because of Feynman being such a pain in the arse that the true reason came out.

Last edited:
You fuckers are nuts...you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun with your obsessive disorders.

I think it stems from childhood trauma...."Do you like movies about Gladiators? "

As far as the topic? I'd be interested in seeing it. William Hurt did a great job in another docudrama I recently watched...."Too Big To Fail"...He played Hank Paulson

You are much smarter than that, that's the sort of thing that USF or ILA would say. For instance, it was only on her death in 2012 that General Kutyna revealed that Sally Ride was the source of the info about the O rings. The investigating commission wanted to have an unproven verdict and it was only because of Feynman being such a pain in the arse that the true reason came out.

Actually, I've never read beyond that, so I wasn't even aware that the rubber O-rings were an insufficient explanation... :(

Actually, I've never read beyond that, so I wasn't even aware that the rubber O-rings were an insufficient explanation... :(

NASA was desperate to cover up the fact that the O rings were not flexible at low temperatures. There was a very good reason for that, they were trying to get the military satellite business from the Titan project and had promised the Pentagon that they could send up two Shuttles per month all year round. It was Feynman being a a gigantic pain that forced the investigating commission to look at the O rings and that is where did his famous demo of the O rings failing even in ice water.

Back