The first female American veteran.

Eagle_Eye

Interesting bit of American history.

"From atop a makeshift fort high above the Hudson River, a young woman aimed a cannon at a mass of Hessian soldiers swarming up the steep, rocky slopes and fired. Her husband, a Patriot soldier, was just killed in battle and she stepped in to take his place.
Her name was Margaret Corbin.
At 24 years old, "Captain Molly” became one of the first women to fight in the American Revolution — and later the first woman to receive a life-long pension from Congress, making her the first female veteran of the United States. For decades, Corbin’s grave site at West Point — a granite monument within a sacred space of green — was honored by all who passed through the storied cemetery."

For the rest of her story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/0...unt-on-for-revolutionary-war-heros-grave.html

Who says lt isn't?

An archeological exam of the bones buried beneath showed they were not Corbin’s but instead those of an unidentified man. Now, the Daughters of the American Revolution is on a mission to find Corbin’s remains and bring the American heroine to her rightful resting place.

"She was a wounded warrior, a prisoner of war and a disabled veteran,” said Jennifer Minus, a DAR official who first learned about Corbin when she was a West Point cadet in the early ‘90s.

"She deserves to have the burial that she earned with her military service at the Battle of Fort Washington," Minus said. "We are determined to find her."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/05/where-is-margaret-corbin-hunt-on-for-revolutionary-war-heros-grave.html

An archeological exam of the bones buried beneath showed they were not Corbin’s but instead those of an unidentified man. Now, the Daughters of the American Revolution is on a mission to find Corbin’s remains and bring the American heroine to her rightful resting place.

"She was a wounded warrior, a prisoner of war and a disabled veteran,” said Jennifer Minus, a DAR official who first learned about Corbin when she was a West Point cadet in the early ‘90s.

"She deserves to have the burial that she earned with her military service at the Battle of Fort Washington," Minus said. "We are determined to find her."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/05/where-is-margaret-corbin-hunt-on-for-revolutionary-war-heros-grave.html

You missed this part. "I am hopeful that one day we will find her," said Frankland. "But I think this monument represents her well regardless of whether she is found."**

You missed this part. "I am hopeful that one day we will find her," said Frankland. "But I think this monument represents her well regardless of whether she is found."**

I didn't miss it. I was answering kacper's question and explaining why that site may not be honored to the same degree it was in the past. Some people apparently think it's inappropriate to honor a grave site whose remains have been misidentified.

I didn't miss it. I was answering kacper's question and explaining why that site may not be honored to the same degree it was in the past. Some people apparently think it's inappropriate to honor a grave site whose remains have been misidentified.

Then you and I have different ideas of respect. When I view a tribute grave I don't think about the remains buried there. The purpose is to honor the memory of the person not the remains.

Then you and I have different ideas of respect. When I view a tribute grave I don't think about the remains buried there. The purpose is to honor the memory of the person not the remains.

I agree. However, some people feel differently, and it's true that respect can be paid anywhere.

Back