The genius of George Carlin on our changing language

Canceled.2014.1

We have such a depth of bullshit in our renaming of things, relabeling things, and using euphemisms.

I won't die, I'll PASS AWAY. WTF? Whenever I hear someone say "We lost my dad last week" I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Did you look behind the sofa?".

But Carlin shows us the way.

We have such a depth of bullshit in our renaming of things, relabeling things, and using euphemisms.

I won't die, I'll PASS AWAY. WTF? Whenever I hear someone say "We lost my dad last week" I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Did you look behind the sofa?".

But Carlin shows us the way.

"Pass away" always makes me cringe.

because of this thread title, for some reason I thought of esperanto. Then I googled esperanto. I found a site about esperanto and how to learn it. I have spent abouuuut 4-5 hours on it today. thanks wb.

A lot of these are just different terms for the same thing that are both used. I don't think there's anything about it dependent on time. A lot of the supposed words that had "replaced" old words "from when he was a kid" are still perfectly familiar to me, and a lot of the "newer" euphamisms are things I hear about rarely. As well, PSTD cover more than just combat, "shell shock" or any of the other military specific names don't recongnize the broader nature of the disease.

because of this thread title, for some reason I thought of esperanto. Then I googled esperanto. I found a site about esperanto and how to learn it. I have spent abouuuut 4-5 hours on it today. thanks wb.

Goddammit. I always wanted to learn Esparanto. Now I'm going to have to race grind on learning esparanto.

Back