The Horse Race

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Fox, MSNBC, and CNN rarely talk about anything relating to domestic politics, outside of the "Horse Race" - who's up in the polls, who got an expensive haircut, and whose raising the most money.

The corporate owners of these networks will rarely, if ever cover economic news that pertains to working americans. I wonder why?

Now, After destroying Topspin and SF on the state of today's working middle class, I present to you anecdotal reasons why its important to empower and elect progressives.

Senator Brown Leads Fight for New Worker Protections

Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown, joined by Senators Barack Obama (D-IL) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY), late last night introduced new legislation that would notify workers of mass firings or plant closings and add tools to enforce current law. The Federal Oversight, Reform, and Enforcement of the WARN Act (FOREWARN) (S.1792) would amend the current Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, which became law in 1988, to better protect workers.
[…]
snip.
[…]
The FOREWARN Act would give the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and state attorneys general the authority to enforce the WARN Act, and would increase penalties to double back pay plus benefits. In addition, it would reduce the mass layoff figure from 50 to 25, reduce the employer size from 100 to 50 employees, and lower the mass layoff trigger. The lower thresholds would protect employees in many smaller manufacturing firms. It would also lengthen the notification period from 60 to 90 days and require employers to provide written notification to the Department of Labor.

New Democratic Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland signed an executive order Tuesday that paves the way for about 7,000 home health care workers, paid by the state, to unionize. Throwing the fear of God into his anti-union critics, Ohio's new Democratic governor said he'll next give child care providers the same green light.

buzzflash.com

Whether it’s wages, jobs, outsourcing, globalization, health care or pension protection, the future of the Democratic Party lies in leaders who are willing to take on the fundamental issues of corporate power and wealth concentration in a sustained way :

"The Democrats need to embrace the fact that the greatest issue in America today is economic fairness,… The average American worker sits there feeling the impact of globalization and immigration. They need people sticking up for them," – Senator Jim Webb

In 1995, Webb wrote a manifesto headlined "In Defense of Joe Six-Pack" for the Wall Street Journal. It was a defense of poor and middle-income whites, whose share of household aggregate income was declining even as rich Americans grew richer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/27/AR2007062701824.html

Now, after I demolished Topspin and SF's assertions about how working class families aren't doing better than 30 years ago, I think Democrats should embrace economic fairness.

Note to Bush Fans: No, that doesn't mean trying to destroy corporations or business. That's just nonsense.

Fox, MSNBC, and CNN rarely talk about anything relating to domestic politics, outside of the "Horse Race" - who's up in the polls, who got an expensive haircut, and whose raising the most money.

The corporate owners of these networks will rarely, if ever cover economic news that pertains to working americans. I wonder why?

Now, After destroying Topspin and SF on the state of today's working middle class, I present to you anecdotal reasons why its important to empower and elect progressives.

Now, after I demolished Topspin and SF's assertions about how working class families aren't doing better than 30 years ago, I think Democrats should embrace economic fairness.

Note to Bush Fans: No, that doesn't mean trying to destroy corporations or business. That's just nonsense.

As this board clearly shows one must not be a "Bush fan" or even a Republican to be a free market capitalist.

As this board clearly shows one must not be a "Bush fan" or even a Republican to be a free market capitalist.

Newsflash: Unions and labor protection are part of the capitalist system.

Every capitalist country on the planet has them.

Newsflash: Unions and labor protection are part of the capitalist system.

Every capitalist country on the planet has them.

Ok. That doesn't change my point that there are still non "Bush fans" and Republicans on this board that don't want a (unrealistic) return to the type of economy you want. Maybe you choose not to single them out because you know they will vote Democrat in 2008.

Ok. That doesn't change my point that there are still non "Bush fans" and Republicans on this board that don't want a (unrealistic) return to the type of economy you want. Maybe you choose not to single them out because you know they will vote Democrat in 2008.

I don't know if you were here, but I posted data on a thread from multiple reliable and credible sources, that show GDP and returns on the stock market are traditionally higher under Democratic leadership, going back for the last century.

Uh-oh. You are a Republican who mentioned "Bush" and are therefore an apologist regardless of what you say from now on.

I don't know if you were here, but I posted data on a thread from multiple reliable and credible sources, that show GDP and returns on the stock market are traditionally higher under Democratic leadership, going back for the last century.

Again, not relevant to what I'm talking about.

Again, not relevant to what I'm talking about.

You said republicans want a capitalist system (by inference, democrats "don't"), and that republicans want a good return on their investments.

My response: Democrats are capitalists too, and the history of the last century shows that traditionally the economy and stock market to better under Democratic leadership.

Conclusion: Democrats are better capitalists than republicans, according to most all available empirical data.

You said republicans want a capitalist system (by inference, democrats "don't"), and that republicans want a good return on their investments.

My response: Democrats are capitalists too, and the history of the last century shows that traditionally the economy and stock market to better under Democratic leadership.

Conclusion: Democrats are better capitalists than republicans, according to most all available empirical data.
What he said was that the board proved that one doesn't have to be an R to believe in free market capitalism.

That is nothing like, "You have to be a Republican if you believe in Capitalism"...

In fact, it is the opposite.

I said there were NON "Bush fans" and Republicans, I.E. - DEMOCRATS that want a free mark capitalist system on this board.

No worries. You got that same California reading education I did (inside joke w/ Darla). :)

LOL
Edu-macation.

Dude, I'm usually multi-tasking when I'm on here, and I just speed-read most of the crap...you'd be suprised how often I probably mis-read posts. :rolleyes:

LOL
Edu-macation.

Dude, I'm usually multi-tasking when I'm on here, and I just speed-read most of the crap...you'd be suprised how often I probably mis-read posts. :rolleyes:

I'm 100% with you. My hand is on the "alt-tab" button so quickly. Not to mention people walk behind my cube quite a bit and I don't want them to exactly see I'm on Just Plain Politics.com.

Yeah had to drop for a while, with a bridge call and several IM's going on it was more than my po old brain could handle.

I'm 100% with you. My hand is on the "alt-tab" button so quickly. Not to mention people walk behind my cube quite a bit and I don't want them to exactly see I'm on Just Plain Politics.com.

It's probably better than some of the sites you're usually on Cawacko. lol

Cypress your a complete and utter moron.
You have little understanding of economics just enough to get crushed by people that have and know money.
Please list the average house size, average tv's # channels, cars family's had 30yrs ago.
I'll give you a hint, homes have doubled in size, TV's have trippled in number. Home electronics are a staple even in lower middle class households. Vacation spending is off the charts.
Your providing comedy and little more.
There are always statistics that look bad, putting one up that goes against the big picture is comical. thanks

Back