The Kamala Harris tariff deception

Truth Detector

Contributor
If her gums are a flapping, she's basically lying.

THE KAMALA HARRIS TARIFF DECEPTION. At every rally and public appearance, Vice President Kamala Harris accuses her opponent, former President Donald Trump, of planning to raise taxes on the people. This is how she said it at their debate in Philadelphia on Sept. 10: “My opponent has a plan that I call the Trump sales tax, which would be a 20% tax on everyday goods that you rely on to get through the month. Economists have said that Trump’s sales tax would actually result for middle-class families in about $4,000 more a year.”

At her big rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, last week, Harris said: “He wants to impose what I call a Trump sales tax on everyday basic necessities, which will cost the average American family nearly $4,000 a year.” At another rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, she said: “He wants to impose what is, in effect, a national sales tax. I call it a Trump sales tax because it will be a tax on everyday basic necessities, which the economists have measured will cost the average family nearly $4,000 more a year.”

You get the idea. You might also know that Trump has not proposed a national sales tax. What Harris refers to is Trump’s tariff proposals, many targeting China, that echo Trump’s tariff policies when he was president. But here’s the thing. Upon taking office, President Joe Biden and Harris kept the Trump tariffs in place. They could have removed them, but they didn’t. And just last week, at the very moment Harris was denouncing the “Trump sales tax,” her administration was raising the very same tariffs she and Biden continued after Trump.

“Biden Administration Ratchets Up Tariffs on Chinese Goods,” read the headline from the New York Times last Friday. The new Biden-Harris measures will “add tariffs to Chinese products worth tens of billions of dollars” on “clothing, solar panels, electric vehicles, syringes, steel, and other goods that China has been selling at far cheaper prices than many American businesses, threatening to put U.S. factories out of business,” the New York Times reported.

At the same time that it increased tariffs, the Biden-Harris administration also “published a long-awaited review of the tariffs that the Trump administration placed on more than $300 billion worth of Chinese goods beginning in 2018,” according to the New York Times. Anyone hoping that the Biden-Harris report would condemn Trump’s policies will be deeply disappointed.

“The report … concluded that the Trump tariffs had been effective in reducing U.S. exposure to harmful trade practices from China, and that they should be maintained,” the New York Times said. “The report also said that the tariffs contributed to U.S. companies shifting their sourcing out of and away from China. China’s overall share of U.S. imports fell to 13.7 percent in 2023 from 21.6 percent in 2017.”

But wait. What about the Trump sales tax? Doesn’t Harris say those tariffs are bad? On Friday, a reporter asked White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre “whether these new tariffs are fundamentally different from what Trump has proposed and how.” Jean-Pierre clearly had an answer ready, and it was that the Biden-Harris administration was protecting workers and, by doing so, had actually brought down the trade deficit with China. So the reporter followed up: “How is it not a sales tax on all the goods that people buy every day?”

“Look,” Jean-Pierre answered. “What we’re trying to do is making sure that we’re protecting American workers and businesses. That’s what we’re doing.”

The brief exchange shows that the White House cannot say the tariffs are different from Trump’s because they are not. And the White House cannot, or does not want to, back up Harris’s contention that the tariffs are “a sales tax” on goods that people need in their everyday lives because if they are, Biden and Harris just raised the tax.

To state the obvious, there are differing opinions about tariffs. There are free-traders and there are protectionists. The point here is not whether tariffs, particularly on China in today’s circumstances, are good or bad. The point is that Harris is bashing Trump for doing something that she herself does every day. “She’s going to my philosophy now,” Trump said at the Philadelphia debate, with Harris standing nearby. “In fact, I was going to send her a MAGA hat.”

Back