The last days of the great American motorcars.

NiftyNiblick

1960s Chick Magnet
The legendary “muscle car” era began in 1964 with the Pontiac GTO and ended with emission-controlled but still carbureted 1970s models that couldn’t get out of their own way.
Even the earlier good ones were in essence dolled up versions of very ordinary mid-sized passenger cars from General Motors or Chrysler Corporation.
Ford wasn’t a major player in mid-sized muscle cars.
They had the Mustang on one side of them and the Thunderbird on the other.

If you watch the Mecum or Barrett-Jackson auctions on television, you’ll see how popular those vintage muscle cars still are among motor enthusiasts.
My own taste in domestic motorcars of the era was more upscale –
I only liked Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Corvettes that young people like I was at the time usually couldn’t afford.
I’ve got a vintage Corvette restomod now, as a geriatric, but I wish that I had a huge Lincoln Connie to go with it.

Too late, now.
Even if I could in good conscience spend six figures on building another toy, I probably wouldn’t still be driving by the time the project could be completed.
I’m waxing nostalgic about classic cars right now because the internal combustion engine-powered car is on the way out,
and with it,
basically the last vestiges of the world in which I lived the prime of my life.

It’s probably necessary, but it absolutely sucks.
Imagine a boy being born who will never hear the roar of a high compression, large displacement V8 engine.
I can’t imagine anybody wanting to bring such a son into the world.

Anyway, this is the new car enthusiast thread.
Any thoughts on classic or performance cars are welcome here.

Speaking of Corvettes, mine is about to take a trip to Dunkin Donuts.
I'm all out of yesterday's stale ones.

Fortunately, the top is already down, so with a great deal of effort,
I'll be able to get in and out of it.

With the top up, there's no point in even trying.
I mean, really.

Saw a C8 this morning.

My Corvette is a cute little roadster.
The new ones are fire-breathing monsters.
Each is cool in its own way.

I’m really not a car guy. My FIL is an engineer at Corvette in BG so I do pay attention to them. I’ll admit that I like the older Corvettes better than the new ones, though I have driven on their test track with the 2017 model. Corvettes still sound like a car of that type is supposed to sound.

Bronco is my vehicle of choice. I had an ‘86 model and should have never sold it. I refuse to pay the price for one since they brought them back but if I had a money tree I’d have to be driving a ‘72-‘79 model.

Speaking of Corvettes, mine is about to take a trip to Dunkin Donuts.
I'm all out of yesterday's stale ones.

Fortunately, the top is already down, so with a great deal of effort,
I'll be able to get in and out of it.

With the top up, there's no point in even trying.
I mean, really.

I call it "putting on the car" rather than "getting in the car" if the top is up... It's like trying to put on a pair of pants that are just a bit too tight...

I’m really not a car guy. My FIL is an engineer at Corvette in BG so I do pay attention to them. I’ll admit that I like the older Corvettes better than the new ones, though I have driven on their test track with the 2017 model. Corvettes still sound like a car of that type is supposed to sound.

Bronco is my vehicle of choice. I had an ‘86 model and should have never sold it. I refuse to pay the price for one since they brought them back but if I had a money tree I’d have to be driving a ‘72-‘79 model.

I drove one of the 2023s on a track just recently. They are nice, but I like the 63 to 67s the best... The split windows are fun to look at, but that blind spot in the rear view gets annoying.

Back