The Oatmeal’s Tesla Museum Campaign Hits Goal

fyi my new name did not derive from this thread and theoatmeal.com reminding me about oatmeal pies. I just happened to be eating one. If people still doubt this story, I will take a picture of my oatmeal pies. That is all.

I wouldn't expect a philistine like you to understand, why would you want to honour one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived?

That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? I mean, yeah, he was a smart guy and did some pretty cool things, but 'greatest genius that ever lived?'

He died penniless... that's not too fucking 'brilliant' if you ask me... go ahead and groan me pinheads, it's the truth.

That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? I mean, yeah, he was a smart guy and did some pretty cool things, but 'greatest genius that ever lived?'

He died penniless... that's not too fucking 'brilliant' if you ask me... go ahead and groan me pinheads, it's the truth.

I said he was one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived. Tesla invented AC electrical transmission and was ripped off by that bastard Edison. In 1899, two years before Marconi sent radio across the Atlantic, Tesla had built remote radio-controlled toy boats. He died penniless because Edison hated him for showing him up for being a charlatan and did his utmost to seek revenge. Tesla took out over 300 patents worldwide and there are likely to be a lot more that are buried in archives somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tesla_patents

I said he was one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived. Tesla invented AC electrical transmission and was ripped off by that bastard Edison. In 1899, two years before Marconi sent radio across the Atlantic, Tesla had built remote radio-controlled toy boats. He died penniless because Edison hated him for showing him up for being a charlatan and did his utmost to seek revenge. Tesla took out over 300 patents worldwide and there are likely to be a lot more that are buried in archives somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tesla_patents

Again, proving he wasn't even one of the greatest geniuses of his own time, much less all time.

Again, proving he wasn't even one of the greatest geniuses of his own time, much less all time.

So his bank account is the mark of his genius? Come on, Dixie, the man was one of the greatest inventors of all time. He was one of, if not THE, greatest geniuses. He sucked at money and getting paid.

Do some research on some of the mathematics superstars. Other people make sure they eat, take their meds, drive them places ect. But that does not take away from their genius.

So his bank account is the mark of his genius? Come on, Dixie, the man was one of the greatest inventors of all time. He was one of, if not THE, greatest geniuses. He sucked at money and getting paid.

Do some research on some of the mathematics superstars. Other people make sure they eat, take their meds, drive them places ect. But that does not take away from their genius.

I'm not saying he wasn't smart, or even a genius... but "one of the greatest geniuses ever to live?"

I think that is a bit over-rated to be honest.

Should we diminish people like Newton and Einstein because they weren't multimillionaires?

First off, I didn't 'diminish' Tesla, I just said he wasn't the greatest genius of all time. Secondly, being a multi-millionaire is a far cry from being penniless, and finally, I don't think Newton or Einstein died penniless.

Originally published: August 28, 2012 1:16 PM
Updated: August 28, 2012 7:33 PM

image.JPG

Photo credit: Bettmann/CORBIS | Tesla's wireless experimental station in Shoreham, Long Island. (Aug. 22, 1907)

In life, toiling at labs on Long Island and elsewhere, Nikola Tesla didn't reap the great riches he deserved. In death, he hasn't always gotten the credit, respect and fame that are due him. Still, his genius led to an extraordinary proportion of the world's modern miracles. It's long past time to honor his memory.
In radio, electricity, engineering, theoretical physics, sound transmission, and in imagining and enabling the invention of the computer, the Serbian-American Tesla was an unparalleled visionary. He was also, particularly in his later years, astonishingly compulsive, which has in some ways added to his mystique.
Early in the 20th century, he did his research on Long Island, in Shoreham, in a building designed by renowned architect Stanford White. The other main labs where he worked, in New York City and Colorado, were destroyed long ago. Only Shoreham's Wardenclyffe remains as a place that could be preserved to commemorate his work.

For years, a local group doggedly pursued the preservation, but fundraising has not been easy. About $1.6 million is needed to buy the property from the Belgian multinational company that owns it, and almost $1 million has been raised thus far. Along with some state capital funds, that may well be enough, and the campaign that sparked current donations is scheduled to continue for several more weeks.

The nonprofit Tesla Science Center has steadily advanced his cause. Recently, Matthew Inman, an Internet cartoonist who runs the popular blog The Oatmeal, called Jane Alcorn, the center's president, and set up a fundraising campaign on his blog. Money started rolling in. How lovely an irony that computers, whose existence flows in part from Tesla's work, are playing a role in perpetuating his name.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-internet-sparks-hope-for-tesla-lab-1.3932619

Back