The "public education" scam

Legion

Oderint dum metuant
2020-Our-members-3840x2160.jpg

A TEACHER SPEAKS, AND THEY BAY FOR HER BLOOD

As a teacher, union membership has always been more of an expectation than a suggestion—and I’ve been a dues-paying, card-carrying member of my union since I started teaching 25 years ago. Despite years of disagreeing with the union’s overt politics, I maintained my membership.

Until last month, when I finally said “enough is enough” and terminated my relationship with my union.

The glaring weaknesses in our education system have been on full display over the years, and while some of these problems are only just becoming apparent to the general public, unfortunately, we teachers have been cognizant of these issues for too long. And more, unfortunately, many of us teachers are all too aware that these problems can be traced back to a common root: The National Education Association.

The NEA has been a disgrace to teachers nationwide, putting their own political agenda ahead of students at every turn. Look no further than the unending, union-led push to extend school shutdowns during the pandemic despite piles of evidence showing that reopening schools posed little health risk and are essential to children’s well-being. Even now, the NEA has been pushing for unreasonable requirements to restart in-person learning and throwing its weight behind radical, divisive curricula.

The NEA is obsessed with pushing a leftist mindset on our kids and their futures as pawns in their politics. Quick to speak on behalf of their “3 million members,” the NEA operates under the idea that teachers are one united, hyper-progressive population ready to follow through on their bidding.

Teachers are not a monolithic political bloc. We have our own thoughts and opinions, and we have the power to speak for ourselves.

When the NEA speaks, they do not relay the thoughts, beliefs, or ethics of all teachers. They are simply trying to push the opinions of their (very political) leadership. Indeed, they are not even trying to hide their opinions anymore—on everything from the 2020 election to the vaccine, the union is all too happy to make their opinions known, and to make it sound like all their members are united in agreement.

Worse, they seem all too eager to use their members to push their agenda onto the most impressionable population: students.

Most educators get into the profession because they love children and want to give them an opportunity to succeed. We want to arm them with knowledge, social skills, confidence, and a drive to contribute positively to the world around them. They have parents and guardians that will teach them their own belief system—it is not our job to interfere in that aspect. We want to educate, not indoctrinate.

The NEA is nothing more than a circus. They do not represent me and that is why I have chosen to end my membership. Parents and guardians and educators need to stand firm in their principles and push back against the NEA’s radical agenda.

Maybe you’re a teacher like me who dutifully paid their union dues for 25 years. I’m here to remind you that you don’t have to do that. I can now hold my head high and proudly say that I am not part of their political shenanigans. I encourage you to do your research—there are a plethora of non-union membership organizations available to teachers. If you’re as upset as me by what the NEA is doing, then you can leave too.

Perhaps if enough of us do, they’ll get the message.

Angela Petrie is a teacher in Gallia County Local Schools. She has been teaching for 25 years.

https://townhall.com/columnists/angelapetrie/2021/11/06/take-the-circusand-the-neaout-of-the-classroom-n2598670

GettyImages-1233775921.jpg

FAKE PRESIDENT, FAKE CONVENTION

Delegate attendance at NEA conventions has been falling for years, from a high of almost 10,000 at the 1998 assembly to the low 6,000s more recently.

This year, the National Education Association held a virtual representative assembly in lieu of the mammoth in-person convention it customarily holds.

Without the need for travel, out-of-pocket expenses or even a brief absence from home, the time was ripe for attendance to improve. The numbers looked good initially, as 6,702 delegates signed up.

But when opening day arrived, only 5,591 logged on. Even this number was inflated when it came to debating and voting. Most votes totaled in the 4,000 to 4,500 range.

At least publicly, NEA chose to ignore the relative lack of interest.

“Nearly 8,000 delegates from across the country gather to fairly and democratically elect officers, approve resolutions and consider amendments, paving the way forward for our union,” read the NEA tweet.

That’s making “nearly” do some heavy lifting.

The substantive policy initiatives were generated by the union’s board of directors and executive committee.

NEA formed a “Task Force on the Future of Assessments” and released a set of five principles for “ensuring that all students have access to an equitable, robust system of asset-based assessments designed by educators in partnership with stakeholders that values the full breadth of their knowledge and skills.”

Evaluate NEA’s principles for yourselves, but I think the key phrase is the one seeking a system that “decouples student assessment from tracking, promotion/retention and graduation decisions.”

Another new business item created a task force to identify criteria for “safe, just and equitable schools, including exploring the role of law enforcement in education.”

It also called for a campaign to teach critical race theory in classrooms and oppose efforts to ban it. That resolution was posted on the NEA website delegate page but later taken down, along with the budget document, membership reports and everything else.

It’s also useful to note that back in 2015, NEA passed a new business item vowing to battle institutional racism.

https://www.the74million.org/article/analysis-police-in-schools-critical-race-theory-and-a-plummeting-delegate-head-count-at-neas-2021-virtual-assembly/

This is what one teacher was teaching in a public school

50182863-10175677-image-a-11_1636329198872.jpg

50183157-10175677-image-m-10_1636329158630.jpg

A high school in California is investigating after a screenshot of a controversial question that parents said was included in a history quiz was shared to social media.

Whitney High School released a statement saying they would investigate the quiz following outrage from parents.

The question asks respondents to identify “A group of complete idiots”, then gave “KKK”, “all of Florida”, “FOX news” and “Texans” as responses.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/whitney-high-school-investigating-after-parents-say-controversial-question-included-in-history-quiz/

Gotta weigh in here. Been teaching for over 33 years. I’m not a liberal (in my best Nixon voice). In fact, in our state the breakdown of teachers and their political philosophies probably is at least 40/60, conservative/liberal, and it is highly likely that, here anyway, it’s more like 50/50. We don’t have to join a union. In fact, most schools have nothing to say about that. The only encouragement to join a union comes from the OEA/NEA themselves.

Never been a member of the NEA or OEA. I am a member of POE. Professional Oklahoma Educators. Here’s their website.

https://professionaloklahomaeducators.org/

Quote from teacher on why she joined POE “OEA links a lot to the NEA,” she said. “I have some differences in moral views and I didn’t want my money going to that either. The NEA is pro-choice, things like that, I just think they get more involved in political areas that I don’t like. I think they should be more focused on educational issues than other outside stuff."

I suspect that other states have a significant bloc of conservative teachers. It may be that it’s not as large as conservative Oklahoma, but I suspect it’s a significant number. And I suspect there are conservative alternatives to the ultra-liberal NEA. A lot of us don’t have agendas. We just want to teach kids and prepare them for society and/or college. We want them to become self-sustaining. Republicans make a mistake, IMO, demonizing a whole profession. Especially one that is so important.

I don't demonize a whole profession. I point out specific instances of educational malfeasance, and they're supported by evidence.

And I wasn't responding just to you alone either. I'm making a broader point that the right has a tendancy to demonize the whole of teaching (and by extention, teachers) by associating them [all] with the NEA.

I'm making a broader point that the right has a tendancy to demonize the whole of teaching (and by extention, teachers) by associating them [all] with the NEA.

The NEA is not the only issue. AFT is just as odious.

It's unfair to assume all rank-and-file public school teachers are guilty of bias; I suspect that many teachers simply "go along to get along" with the woke agenda shoved down their throats by unions, "woke" administrators, and leftist organizations.

The woke education mafia persecutes conservative teachers quite often, don't they?

As a strong supporter of the NEA, the closed shop, and the abolition of all "right to work" laws, and as a former labor activist myself, I'd like to pitch in a few points.

The unions have no input on whom communities hire to teach.
Pick good people to begin with, pay them what qualified people are worth, and you won't have to blame the union, which happens to be the teachers themselves, not a third party, for whom you picked to be teachers.

The USA's commitment to funding education is a catastrophe.
Stop funding public schools with local property taxes and fund them entirely from federal funds, no matter how that affects income and corporate taxes.
Take authority away from locally elected school committees, almost always comprised of idiots, by the way, and let the Department of Education runs schools professionally.

The failure of our public schools explains most of the pathetic Reichnut idiots who post on JPP and don't even know the meaning of the words that they are trying to use.

The USA's commitment to funding education is a catastrophe.

As of 2019: The amount spent per pupil for public elementary and secondary education (prekindergarten through 12th grade) for all 50 states and the District of Columbia increased by 3.7% to $12,201 per pupil during the 2017 fiscal year, compared to $11,763 per pupil in 2016, according to new tables released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.

The increase in spending in 2017 was due in part to an overall increase in revenue for school systems in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. In 2017, public elementary and secondary education revenue, from all sources, amounted to $694.1 billion, up 3.4% from $671.2 billion in 2016.

Other highlights include:

• Of the 50 states, New York ($23,091), the District of Columbia ($21,974), Connecticut ($19,322), New Jersey ($18,920) and Vermont ($18,290) spent the most per pupil in 2017.
  • Of the 100 largest school systems based on enrollment in the United States, the five school systems with the highest spending per pupil in 2017 were New York City School District in New York ($25,199), Boston City Schools in Massachusetts ($22,292), Baltimore City Schools in Maryland ($16,184), Montgomery County School District in Maryland ($16,109), and Howard County School District in Maryland ($15,921). Maryland had one additional school system in the top 10, making it four of the top 10 school systems in the United States. To see the top 10 school districts by current spending per pupil, see the graphic Top 10 Largest School Districts by Enrollment and Per Pupil Current Spending.
  • Within public school systems, New Mexico (14.4%), Mississippi (14.1%), Alaska (14.0%), Arizona (13.7%) and South Dakota (12.8%) received the highest percentage of their revenues from the federal government, while public school systems in New Jersey (4.1%), Massachusetts (4.3%), Connecticut (4.3%), Minnesota (5.2%) and New York (5.3%) received the lowest.

These statistics come from the 2017 Annual Survey of School System Finances. Education finance data include revenues, expenditures, debt and assets (cash and security holdings) of elementary to secondary (prekindergarten through 12th grade) public school systems. Statistics cover school systems in all states and include the District of Columbia. These statistics are not adjusted for cost of living differences between geographic areas.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/school-spending.html

White Students Not Allowed at Pennsylvania School District’s Camp

A middle school in Pennsylvania is receiving push-back from parents for hosting a camp over the weekend that was not open to white students.

During morning announcements at Upper Merion Area Middle School on November 1, a school staff member said she had “an exciting announcement,” but there was a catch.

“Here’s the thing, it is a black-student-union-sponsored event,” the staff member said, adding that “you must be black, African American, a person of color in order to participate.”

When reached on the phone Monday, the school’s principal, Adam Slavin, declined to comment and directed questions to the superintendent.

Superintendent John Toleno defended the camp in an email, calling it “part of our ongoing efforts over the past 8 years to give opportunities to groups who are underrepresented with a primary focus on students of Color and students who identify as female.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/white-students-not-allowed-at-pennsylvania-school-districts-drone-camp/

Back