The racist practice of mispronouncing names

cawacko

Alright, for all you non racist folks, how do you go through life never mispronouncing a name?

You know when you're standing in line at a coffee shop, trying to figure out what to order? Your mind races. How much caffeine can I handle today? Should I get that overpriced bagel?

Many people with "unconventional" names experience a different kind of anxiety in this moment: figuring out what "safe" and "easy" name they should use that day.

Having a name butchered happens beyond coffee shops. This same anxiety peeks its head in the workplace, the classroom and many other aspects of life.

In this episode of RadioActive Youth Media, hosts Zuheera Ali and Keya Roy talk to author Ijeoma Oluo and each other about their experiences living in the United States with "difficult" names. They also talk to Rita Kohli, a professor at University of California, Riverside who has done research on the effects of mispronouncing names on students of color.

Spoiler: This practice of mispronouncing names isn't just embarrassing. It has a long and racist history.

https://kuow.org/stories/a-rose-by-any-other-name-would-not-be-me

well tough fucking shit if you have a hard name to pronounce people can't just will themselves to say a hard tongue twister on demand for a name/word they are not familiar with.

Alright, for all you non racist folks, how do you go through life never mispronouncing a name?

You know when you're standing in line at a coffee shop, trying to figure out what to order? Your mind races. How much caffeine can I handle today? Should I get that overpriced bagel?

Many people with "unconventional" names experience a different kind of anxiety in this moment: figuring out what "safe" and "easy" name they should use that day.

Having a name butchered happens beyond coffee shops. This same anxiety peeks its head in the workplace, the classroom and many other aspects of life.

In this episode of RadioActive Youth Media, hosts Zuheera Ali and Keya Roy talk to author Ijeoma Oluo and each other about their experiences living in the United States with "difficult" names. They also talk to Rita Kohli, a professor at University of California, Riverside who has done research on the effects of mispronouncing names on students of color.

Spoiler: This practice of mispronouncing names isn't just embarrassing. It has a long and racist history.

One of my favorites
Oh man you have no idea how close to home this is. Remember English is my wife's second language (actually her third) so we have a lot of conversations about the peculiarities of pronunciation, sytanx and grammar of the English language that confuse even native speakers. As this video so brilliantly displays. :)

Since I know a lot of ESL folk most of them miss-pronounce my name. I never felt it was racist or bigoted though. Just language cultural differences.

Oh, wow. I didn't know that it was considered "racist" to mispronounce a name when hearing it for the first time. A lot of people mispronounce my first name when they see it written down. My maiden name? Forget about it! LOL! It doesn't bother me at all. Why should it?

Total bullshit. Most people will mispronounce a name when reading it. Steve Harvey has trouble pronouncing some name correctly when reading them and he is far from being a racist.

When I lived in the Northeast my last name would be mispronounced 99% of the time. Now that I live in the South it's pronounced correctly nearly every time. FWIW

When I lived in the Northeast my last name would be mispronounced 99% of the time. Now that I live in the South it's pronounced correctly nearly every time. FWIW

When I told my father I was marrying a Filipino he asked if she could speak English? I said "She speaks it about like your average Southerner" to which Pops replied "That aint saying much". Ah Pops...he was such a crumudgeon. :)

When I told my father I was marrying a Filipino he asked if she could speak English? I said "She speaks it about like your average Southerner" to which Pops replied "That aint saying much". Ah Pops...he was such a crumudgeon. :)

My wife and I have a saying: "He/ she is speaking Southern".

"Might could..."
"Sure don't..."

And our favorite: "Shitfire!" Two things that are bad, so why not combine them?

Back