the real reason we have not left Iraq yet

evince

Truthmatters
http://tinyurl.com/27qt95
This is not passed yet

Coming 'in its own time'

By Ben Lando
UPI Energy Editor

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, Sept. 4 (UPI) -- The question is simple on the third and final day of a major Iraqi energy conference where hundreds of hungry oil men and women broke bread with Iraq's industry chiefs, politicians and technocrats: When will Baghdad set the ground rules for the international oil community's long-awaited venture into the largest oil prize on Earth?

The answer, evenly nuanced, is clear: A version of the Iraq oil and natural gas law was agreed to by most of Iraq's political leadership last week, and when Parliament resumes this week it will, possibly, debate the law and, perhaps, maybe vote on it soon.

"They have a deal on the government level. Once it comes to the Parliament, it is the Parliament who has to have the say," Abdul-Hadi al-Hasani, deputy head of Parliament's Energy Committee, said on the sidelines of the summit, though he hasn't seen the latest version of the bill yet.

"This is really a discussion taking place between all expertise, members of Parliament, economists, government officials," he said, adding the balance between Iraqi and investor interests isn't a quick resolve. "I wish it could have been passed yesterday. We need it. But simply it has to take its own time to come through maturely."

The world's leading hydrocarbons firms attending the Iraq Oil, Gas, Petrochemical and Electricity Summit, organized by the London-based Iraq Development Program, held roundtables over the future of Iraq's oil while planning deals to venture into its sister sectors. Yet, from the minnows to the giants, service firms and equipment providers, they wait, with billions of dollars, for this law, which has numerous times before been just around the corner.

Theirs aren't the only eyes on Iraq's oil, the third-largest proven reserves in the world, made more tempting when one considers how much of the country is unexplored. What has been found, usually close to the surface and sweet, is pumped and refined cheaper than anywhere else, except for the cost of producing amid war.

Iraq's political parties have no easy task, however, thus the delay to decide how large a role the federal government will have in deciding the country's oil strategy and, pushed by the powerful oil unions, the extent private and foreign hands will be allowed a grab.

President Bush arrived in Iraq Monday, just days before Parliament and the U.S. Congress return from recess, and with the upcoming war evaluation from top U.S. military and embassy officials looming.

Oil, it is all about oil.
And Saudi arabia will be an invasion/intervention by the US govt in the not too distant future. The long term porspects for a stable Saudi Arabia is not good.
Their avg income is now about 1/3 of what it was a few years ago.
They have a fairly young population, unem[ployment is very hight....
Think about, it where did most of the 911 hihackers come from ?

Actually, the real reason is that Bush is insanely unwavering.

It's been such BS from the get-go. After the authorization resolution in '02, he was all about using force only as a last resort, and consulting with Congress. After the '06 election, he told us he'd consult with Congress again, and was open to discussion on the topic. This morning, I read that admin aides are saying that it doesn't really matter what Petreous' report says - nothing is going to fundamentally change in Bush's policy (which backs up what he told the biographer for "Dead Certain" - he's hoping for enough in the report to convince Congress to "stay longer"...he just wants to run out the clock).

I'm tired of 'the decider' putting himself not only detached from the reality on the ground, but above democracy as a process. This has been a surreal, nighmarish 7 or so years...

Actually, the real reason is that Bush is insanely unwavering.

It's been such BS from the get-go. After the authorization resolution in '02, he was all about using force only as a last resort, and consulting with Congress. After the '06 election, he told us he'd consult with Congress again, and was open to discussion on the topic. This morning, I read that admin aides are saying that it doesn't really matter what Petreous' report says - nothing is going to fundamentally change in Bush's policy (which backs up what he told the biographer for "Dead Certain" - he's hoping for enough in the report to convince Congress to "stay longer"...he just wants to run out the clock).

I'm tired of 'the decider' putting himself not only detached from the reality on the ground, but above democracy as a process. This has been a surreal, nighmarish 7 or so years...

I think most of us have known he's just running out the clock on Iraq in the hopes of handing off the whole mess to the next President, for a while now. That's why there is a big part of me that has always been for impeachment. But, realistically, there aren't the votes. I mean, we are really pretty screwed as a country. There isn't anything we can do, as he does run out the clock, throwing life after life away on this, so that there is some small chance that the cottage industry of Right wing revisionists can blame Iraq on the next (probably Democratic) president.

I wonder what could be more immoral?

And Hillary agrees with Bush on the real reason why we are in Iraq.....

Our lifestyles and economy are at risk. Did anyone watch the show last night on Sundance about oil running out and the consequences ?
Well Spinner before you jump, not running out for quite some time but the demand exceeding the supply. which is very near....

i bet you the dem that gets elected will not pull out.. not when all that oil is there for the taking and the vast majority of the dirty work has already been committed.

I predict that in the next 20 years we will keep moving to take over the middle east. To feed our asddiction for oil.
The oil wars have begun.

Our addiction for oil will make us become like those we have so often spoken against.
We are becoming the enemy.

why do you think all the anti islam and terrorist rhetoric.....
Yes there are terrorists, but theire always have been.

It will take on most of the apsects of a holy crusade....
Most will believe as they do now that the upcoming moves are necessary for the war on terror.
some will do it out of greed and then many of us will just be sucked along wotj the inevitalbe currents.

Last edited:
The Iraq Oil Law is the real reason we invaded Iraq in the first place.

Americans should stop dancing around the truth. We've become the most dangerous nation on the planet, willing to mass-murder countless people to satisfy our addiction.

We are a warmongering people and we always have been.

We invaded Afghanistan to so the oil barons could build the Caspian sea pipeline. We announced to other nations that we were going to invade Afghanistan even before 9/11 happened. The John Mareca, the Unocal exec who lobbied Congress in 1998 to control Afghanistan so the pipeline could be built was then installed as the first US Envoy to Afghanistan.

Karzai, who was the Unocal lobbyest who invited the Taliban to Houston where Ken Lay showered them with millions in Enron money to allow the pipeline to be built, then miraculously became the President of Afghanistan.

PNAC wrote letters to Bill Clinton and Bush instructing them on how to do exactly what the world seees before us today.

9/11 was the invention, the New Pearl Harbor, that PNAC desired.

The rest of planet earth knows 9/11 was a fraud and they know what America has become.

Americans, who think themselves "enlightened" are the most naive people ever invented. They don't want to know the truth, they reject anything that doesn't come from Snow White's mirror.

i bet you the dem that gets elected will not pull out.. not when all that oil is there for the taking and the vast majority of the dirty work has already been committed.

You're right on.
Oil is our lifeblood and we will be in the mid east until another energy source is found.

Back