APP - The Three Golden Monkeys Of The Progressive Movement In America.

philly rabbit

Verified User
1. The War Against Southern Independence ... more commonly known as the Civil War.

2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

3. Lyndon Baines Johnson

I believe that these three events in American history are the highest milestones for progressives in their history within our borders. Number one established the federal government's dominance over the people in the states and birthed the movement. The second launched the federal government's all out assault on private enterprise and private wealth and the third expanded that assault to overwhelm private property rights and established the modern welfare state.

There are many other instances that occurred which gave progressives important victories when their movement gained enormous momentum thirty five years after Lee's surrender at Appomattox at the beginning of the twentieth century and onward from there but the three I pointed out are the big three for most progressives.

Philly, you need to put your money where your mouth is. I'm sure you understand the expression. Well anyway since you like countries without government the places noted below are perfect. Please try one, post from there and let us know how freedom from big bad government feels. No prevarications and please no excuses for not leaving, should you not leave you will continue to be living in a nation formed by those three items you mentioned above, and doing that, staying, would make you a hypocrite and phony and we wouldn't want to think that of you. Enjoy your trip too. '

Philly, hope Somalia fits as it looks right up your alley.

'Who Needs Government? 5 Places That Have Little to None'

http://www.businesspundit.com/who-needs-government-5-places-that-have-little-to-none/

"Government, despite its many sins, remains the only institution that can make our freedom real." Gregory Downs

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this — in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything — even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

Philly, you need to put your money where your mouth is. I'm sure you understand the expression. Well anyway since you like countries without government the places noted below are perfect. Please try one, post from there and let us know how freedom from big bad government feels. No prevarications and please no excuses for not leaving, should you not leave you will continue to be living in a nation formed by those three items you mentioned above, and doing that, staying, would make you a hypocrite and phony and we wouldn't want to think that of you. Enjoy your trip too. '

http://www.businesspundit.com/who-needs-government-5-places-that-have-little-to-none/

"Government, despite its many sins, remains the only institution that can make our freedom real." Gregory Downs

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this — in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything — even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

this is a bunch of statist power grabbing crap. you should know better.

I support more local government and a very limited federal government as a necessary evil.

1. The War Against Southern Independence ... more commonly known as the Civil War.

2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

3. Lyndon Baines Johnson

I believe that these three events in American history are the highest milestones for progressives in their history within our borders. Number one established the federal government's dominance over the people in the states and birthed the movement. The second launched the federal government's all out assault on private enterprise and private wealth and the third expanded that assault to overwhelm private property rights and established the modern welfare state.

There are many other instances that occurred which gave progressives important victories when their movement gained enormous momentum thirty five years after Lee's surrender at Appomattox at the beginning of the twentieth century and onward from there but the three I pointed out are the big three for most progressives.

You are forgetting Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. But if forced to choose I would say Wilson was worse

So your entire diatribe can be distilled down to the behemoth that have or NO government. Couldn't you at least be original? Everyone uses Somalia? I don't know any serious person that says we should have NO government. That is just the absurd argument you big gobblement types run to. I thought you were better than that. But I guess despite all of your big words you are really no better than Deshtard

Nobody's buying it, midcan. Just admit that you want the government to have total power over your life, and you won't have to keep posting disingenuous bullshit like this.

Philly, Local government is still government, until you make good by moving you remain you know what. Money where mouth is.

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." http://www.quotedb.com/speeches/washington-farewell-address

"For decades conservatives have been demonizing government and not enough has been done to defend it. Ever since Ronald Reagan declared in 1981 that "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem," Republicans have been waging a political war against this institution. They have been joined in this anti-government crusade by libertarian thinkers, Tea Party activists, right-wing media pundits, and wealthy corporate lobbies. This powerful political coalition blithely ignores anything good about government and conducts a relentless smear campaign against this institution. They constantly play upon the fears and insecurities of average Americans and encourage them to blame all their problems on big bad government." http://www.governmentisgood.com/

Back